How do you map an infinite plane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you map an infinite plane?

Is it even possible? Or can you only set the diffuse colour?
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Re: How do you map an infinite plane?

Well there are two sides to this story, but on the V-Ray side, mapping the infinite plane is complicated because it is dynamic geometry. Dynamic geometry is created on the fly without necessarily having a specific geometric structure physically present. There are several instances of dynamic geometry (displacement, motion blur, proxies, fur), but in the case of the infinite plane, it is the only piece of geometry that isn't really present in some sort of form. Because of this, its rather hard to retain the correct UV structure for the infinite plane, a lot of which depends on proper retrieval of the mapping coordinates and the type of mapping (texture, procedural) being applied.

As a note, it is impossible to use displacement on the infinite plane. This is a V-Ray limitation.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

So, in the current state of VfSU,it's not possible? I tried applying a texture to an infinite plane but got texture in the rendering. I was wondering if there might be a trick to it.
      Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

I don't believe so. I actually just tried in Rhino as well and got nothing. Maybe its a v-ray limitation as a whole. I'll ask our programmers.
        Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Working...
        X