noob question: vray 1.60.15 processing time VERY long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob question: vray 1.60.15 processing time VERY long

When I initially go to render a scene lately, it has been taking a VERY long time to start rendering (up to 20 minutes). What I mean by this is that before the V-Ray frame buffer even begins, it can take up to 20 minutes (or more). I have recently been using Distributed Rendering which did speed up render times overall, but the past couple of days have me with this problem of extremely long start-up times for renders. This occurs even if I go back to just using the host machine only to render.

Any ideas right off the bat?

What info might you all need to help me diagnose the problem?

Re: noob question: vray 1.60.15 processing time VERY long

This is an unfortunate part of working with SU at the moment. SU is not setup for speed, and in our case, we are trying to retrieve and translate all of the geometry in the scene. This is significant, but because SU doesn't perform this task very quickly it makes it hard for us to do any more with it. We are aware of it, and want to work out an option that will make the process quicker, but in scenes with a large number of objects, there isn't too much that can be done.

If you're doing tests, then I would advise that you hide as much geometry as you an afford during tests. If its a final, then thats just what needs to happen.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Fair enough. Thank you for your reply.

Overall, I'd say V-Ray is a wonderful tool and am very happy with it. I have recently purchased the license for it and am much appreciative for the time/effort put into making a quality rendering engine.

Comment

Originally posted by dalomar
        This is an unfortunate part of working with SU at the moment. SU is not setup for speed, and in our case, we are trying to retrieve and translate all of the geometry in the scene. This is significant, but because SU doesn't perform this task very quickly it makes it hard for us to do any more with it. We are aware of it, and want to work out an option that will make the process quicker, but in scenes with a large number of objects, there isn't too much that can be done.

If you're doing tests, then I would advise that you hide as much geometry as you an afford during tests. If its a final, then thats just what needs to happen.
        Is it possible to implement a loading screen, something that indicates that work is actually going on and not just SU that's locked up. I've noticed when I hit Render nothing really appear to happen except that I get the hourglass. If I change focus to another window SU will flicker an not redraw properly, but the statusbar will redraw once where it says V-Ray is processing the scene. But after the initial flicker there is no indication until the render begins. I've noticed this kind of behaviour with some labour intensive ruby scripts, so maybe it's not possible. But if it is, then it'd be great as sometimes SU just locks but you don't really know.
        Also, would it be possible to add a new variable to the VCB which indicated the amount of preprocessing time. Some times renders are done quickly once it's begun, but the processing itself took a long time.
        Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

Thats a good suggestion, but I'm not sure what the possibilities for that are. As you said, you've experienced it with other ruby scripts, and right now, ruby's a bit of a problem. Its very limited and its very slow. This means that there may not be an easy way for us to put this in...I'm just not sure.
          Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Working...
          X