Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadows exterior render

Hi guys!
    Could you suggest me a way to make shadows not so sharp in an exterior render?
    I'm using not HDR.
    Using light default from SU.
    But let's say I need a view when the sky is cloudly so that diffuse light is spread and ther is not so much of direct light.
    Then the shadow should be not so sharp ahd have a little bit of gradient.
    Is that possible in V-ray?
    Thank you
    Vinch

Re: Shadows exterior render

Check out this thread http://asgvis.com/index.php?option=c...25269#msg25269 and also Stefanq has done a number of experiments with HDR so do a search on 'HDRI'

My experience is that, on the one hand you have the vray sun - which you can soften by changing the size multiplier, and on the other hand you have just global illumination - which has no directional light. The alternative, which I think is what you are after, is to use a good HDR image, which gives a slight directional light effect. Its best to put a chrome sphere in the scene to set up the 'rotation' of the HDR so you get the right effect.

David
    Sketchup 2015
    Vray version 2.00
    www.davidcauldwell.co.uk

Comment

Thank you a lot David, always helpfull.
      Vinch

Comment

I need some other tips
        Ok I'll post an image, on that building is going to be placed a volume on the roof.
        http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/2448/l1040114wg4.jpg

The problem is the light.
        Which approach would you have?
        HDR?
        since there is not direct light it seems the best way.
        But then...the picture show anyway strong shadows, they are not sharp but have a lot of contrast and they are quite extended/spread (is that something that you can setup in shadowbias?)

So is not possible to operate with some parameter for the shadows? shadowsbias like I said?

David, you said that i can soften the shadows by changing the siza multiplier...do you mean the multiplier of the GI/bitmap?

Does anyone know if there is any website that has availavble free HDR?

thank you
        Vincenzo

Comment

you said that i can soften the shadows by changing the siza multiplier...do you mean the multiplier of the GI/bitmap?
          I meant increasing the sun 'size multiplier' when using the physical sun. changing it to 3-5 is about right, but you still get sharp shadows close to the origin, so it won't help in your situation.

I think you are correct, and that a HDR image may get the effect you are after. I would try grounding your model on a dark, non-reflective base and you may get the dark shadows you want.

However the photo you show may be suitable for just a regular global illumination - again try grounding your model on a dark, non-reflective base and you may get the dark shadows you want.

HDR sources
          Evermotion do a range of free hdri

Good Luck

David
          Sketchup 2015
          Vray version 2.00
          www.davidcauldwell.co.uk

Comment

Thank you David for the tips!
            I'm going to try according with your suggestions...
            Vincenzo

Comment

Working...
            X