Vray on Windows XP 64bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray on Windows XP 64bit

I'm thinking to install XP 64bit, but i'm afraid that Vray wont work on it. So i want to ask if someone tried it and if it worked?
    www.Top3Dstudio.com
    SU 8
    VfS 1.48.89
    Win 7 64-bit

Re: Vray on Windows XP 64bit

Don't know why you would think that. It does work and I've never had an issue with any SOFTWARE working on xp 64. Hardware, and hardware drivers are where you will most likely run into an issue or two. Note: you might want to double check the directory when your installing, that's the only thing that causes a hiccup.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Thank you Damien, I understood that in order to have more than 4GB of ram i got to have 64bit.
      So i had to check this matter.

Best Regards
      www.Top3Dstudio.com
      SU 8
      VfS 1.48.89
      Win 7 64-bit

Comment

Yes, but SU will still be limited in how much RAM it can use, and it still won't use up the 4 gbs. Max RAM should be either 2.8 gbs or 3.6 .. the lower one is for regular 32 bit apps on a 64 bit OS and the larger one is for apps compiled with the Large Address Aware tag. I don't know whether SU has that tag, so I'm not sure which number you'll actually working with. Just to let you know, so you aren't surprised if you don't reach that 4 gb mark.

Comment

Thank you Damien for your time.
          I see... :-\. At least VfSU supports all the RAM capacity, right?
          Because for example i have a medium SU file (70mb) and when i add displacement map to large terrains and render it i can see how i gradually run out of memory till SU crushes (i have 2gb).
          www.Top3Dstudio.com
          SU 8
          VfS 1.48.89
          Win 7 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by 40th
            Thank you Damien for your time.
            I see... :-\. At least VfSU supports all the RAM capacity, right?
            Because for example i have a medium SU file (70mb) and when i add displacement map to large terrains and render it i can see how i gradually run out of memory till SU crushes (i have 2gb).
            I don't think VfSU supports all the RAM capacity.
            As opposed to some other render engines which run as a separate process from SU (except for the export itself),VfSU shares the SU process, so I don't think it can adress +4Gb RAM .

Comment

Moving to 64 bit will give you more memory to work with, so even though it still won't use all that you want, I would still recommend it if its something you're willing to do.

I think you may need to check the geometry your adding displacement to. Displacement is processed per face, so if you have very large faces, then the memory load on calculating that displacement will be more significant than if you had smaller faces.

Comment

biebel and Damien - Thank you for your response.
                Originally posted by biebel

I don't think VfSU supports all the RAM capacity.
                As opposed to some other render engines which run as a separate process from SU (except for the export itself),VfSU shares the SU process, so I don't&#160; think it can adress +4Gb RAM .
                Damien can you please confirm that?
                www.Top3Dstudio.com
                SU 8
                VfS 1.48.89
                Win 7 64-bit

Comment

V-Ray uses the SU process to schedule any threads that need to be computed. Therefore it is limited by SU. So about 2.6 would be the max memory on a 64 bit system.

Comment

Thanks Damien for clearing that up.
                    Sorry if i'm nagging. its just that i have 2gb ram and i'm considering to purchase a few more (maybe an extra 4gb) and i can't but ask is it worth the investment? especially if SU and vfsu can't take advantage of it, when the whole idea of raise the RAM was to give the rendering more memory resource.

www.Top3Dstudio.com
                    SU 8
                    VfS 1.48.89
                    Win 7 64-bit

Comment

At the moment I'd try and keep it @ 3gbs total. For a 32 bit OS anything more won't be used and be money down the drain. Even for a 64 bit OS, you can actually use virtual memory for any space needs beyond 3gbs. In my big machine (64 bit) I only had 2 gbs of physical memory and still saw memory usage of 3.8 gbs when using Rhino. Not saying that you should do that, but I think you can still get by with 3 gbs no matter what you're working with and save a little bit of your money.

Comment

Originally posted by 40th
                        Thanks Damien for clearing that up.
                        Sorry if i'm nagging. its just that i have 2gb ram and i'm considering to purchase a few more (maybe an extra 4gb) and i can't but ask is it worth the investment? especially if SU and vfsu can't take advantage of it, when the whole idea of raise the RAM was to give the rendering more memory resource.
                        Switching to 64 bit is definitely a plus, as well as increasing your RAM.
                        I currently run Vista 64 bit on an octocore with 8 GB and the advantages are clear.
                        Maybe it's not that obvious using VfSU, but for the other big render engines that have 64 bit versions for Sketchup you will see a big performance increase.(Fry64 bit,Maxwell 64 bit,Indigo 64 bit)

The real bottleneck currently will still remain Sketchup itself (as Damien pointed out ).
                        At the SCF forum we all have been nagging for 64 bit, large adress awareness and multicore dedicated coding for the next Sketchup version (=SU7).

Unfortunately, there is no sign whatsoever that Google is going to implement this.
                        On the contrary, informal talks of SCF members with Google SU team workers pointed out that they even haven't got a clue why they should change the SU core code.Frustrating!

I am sure Sketchup has an enormous potential in the 3D/CG market if only they...

Comment

Damien and Thom,
                          So the conclusion would be: to use 64bit OS
                          Also more physical mem. will give more room for other apps that running simultaneously with vfsu render process (such as Photoshop, Internet browser etc.)

www.Top3Dstudio.com
                          SU 8
                          VfS 1.48.89
                          Win 7 64-bit

Comment

Just check first...drivers are a big thing on 64 bit so make sure there's drivers for all you hardware and peripherals. Also, I had a tougher time finding an antivirus software that I felt comfortable with...just a note.

Comment

Working...
                            X