Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• importing 3ds from auto cad to sketch up

hello every body,
    is it possible that when we export a 3d from Auto cad to SU and use vray for rendering the options and using lights be different from a project that we create originally in sketch up? I mean is it possible that exporeted 3ds make scene be darker?
    thank you in advance

Re: importing 3ds from auto cad to sketch up

Why do you have to use 3ds format from AutoCAD? SketchUp can read 3D AutoCAD files.

The scene should not be darker if you use imported geometry instead of creating it in SU. Just make sure that you import in the correct scale.
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

I usually import files from auto cad because as you know sketch up is not precise enough. for example it doesn't have reliable tools for "scale" and "move".

thank you for your reply

Comment

Fatemeh

Have to disagree with you on that one.

In my view, Sketchup tools are in many ways more powerful than Autocad and just as accurate and nearly always easier too.
        Often, 3ds imports, which have been created in other packages, can be a real pain to make then acceptable to render. For 2d work, then Autcad (or similar) but for 3d work sketchup is brilliant. For huge, complex projects, then I guess it would be Revit or something like that, but for us mere mortals, doing small (architectural) schemes, then sketchup rules!!

David
        Sketchup 2015
        Vray version 2.00
        www.davidcauldwell.co.uk

Comment

I haven't had any problem with SU not being precise. Unless you're doing some spacial engineering models then it should be as accurate as anything else. As a modelmaker that lives off making models of architectural models I've seen plenty of drawings from AutoCAD that's far from accurate. But that's not due to the software, it's the users not using snaps or simply snap lines to the wrong points.

And scale and move has always been reliable too me. Not sure what problems it would be?

As dcauldwell mentioned, 3ds models can cause problems. It's a format that's 20-30 years old and has some limitations. Unfortunatly it's only one of two 3d formats SU imports. If you need to import a 3d model where some basic materials and textures are applied that that's the format you have to use.

But if you are importing simply just the 3d mesh then DWG format can be used. The advantage with importing the DWG file is that blocks turns into components in SU so you retain the efficiency from the DWG file. Since your source data allready is in DWG format I would try to import that directly into SU as every time you convert between formats you risk loosing information.
          Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

well, I agree that sketch up is a powerful software for modeling specially we can move inside and outside of our model easily.but for example if you asked to draw a wall with the accurated hight of 15' you must pull your wall up to 15' and meanwhile look at the measure window in the left of screen is n't it?
            if sketch up had a tool that we could insert the dimentions some thing like extrude or offset in Auto cad it was great.

Comment

Well its your lucky day!
              Sketchup allows you you to type in the exact dimension/move/push/pull that you want - check out these videos http://sketchup.google.com/gsu5vtviewer.html#id=5

Good Luck

David
              Sketchup 2015
              Vray version 2.00
              www.davidcauldwell.co.uk

Comment

fatemah, importing dwg file is easy. now if the scale is wrong try as your saying you could actually use the taqpe measure to resize.
                http://www.nomeradona.blogspot.com/
                http://www.sketchupvrayresources.blogspot.com/
                http://www.nomeradonaart.blogspot.com/

Comment

;D ;D thank you so much david & nomeradona,

Comment

Working...
                  X