Problem with positioning textures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with positioning textures

Dont know if anyone has a suggestion - but in the image below I have positioned the textures on the 2 sides of the row of bricks in sketchup, but when it renders it goes back to the default position - any ideas..

[imghttp://][/img]

Thanks in anticipation

Re: Problem with positioning textures

Can you try left click surface go to texture and projected cheked??
    Sketchup 8 Vray for sketchup&nbsp; &nbsp; 01.49.01<br />Windows 7 32 Bit Core 2 Quad ,9600 GT<br />4gb DDR2 800

Comment

Evrigo

Thanks for the suggestion - I have tried that box both checked and unchecked - makes no difference. Do you know what the 'projected' option does ?

It seems that repositioned textures dont render in their new position when I get more complex models. I have the same texture applied to 2 adjacent surfaces - on one surface I can move the texture, and it gets rendered in its new position - on the other surface I can move it where I want and it only renders in the default position.

Its very confusing !

Comment

What version of Sketchup?
        And what version of V-Ray for Sketchup?

Can you post a sample model?
        Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

Tell us what version using u? And u try again empty box shape re apply texture?
          same problem?
          Sketchup 8 Vray for sketchup&nbsp; &nbsp; 01.49.01<br />Windows 7 32 Bit Core 2 Quad ,9600 GT<br />4gb DDR2 800

Comment

I have put the model that I took the screen shot from in 3d Warehouse (bricks20oct09)

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...f2&prevstart=0

I am using SU v7.1 and Vray 1.05.30 on Vista 64

Comment

I looked at the model.
              First there are two enormous image files for the bricks - just one would do, which you can rotate to get the virtical face of the bricks (Unless you really need 2500mm images, I would cut these down to say 900mm - just trim away the excess)
              The next thing is that I think you have applied the texture to the group (or component) - you must apply the texture directly to each face, and not the group.
              (As an aside - I never use the SU stretch texture option as VRay doesn't seem to like it - if you need to re-size a texture do it in the texture edit drop down)
              And finally the faces are reversed - in SU, if you select the 'monochrome' view you will see that the faces are blue - this is the reverse side.

David
              Sketchup 2015
              Vray version 2.00
              www.davidcauldwell.co.uk

Comment

Ah - one very important thing about VfSU. Never apply materials to groups/component. (texture mapping becomes unpredictable as you've noted - but more importantly; the parsing time for the model increases insanely!)
                Only ever apply materials to faces.

David's notes about front and backfaces is useful as well. Getting your faces to orient consistently will reduce problems with render engines and as well other tools that rely on the direction of the faces.
                Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

David/Thomthom

Thank you so much for looking at the model, and your help is invaluable.

Once the model is ungrouped, and I am applying the texture to the right surface (I'm not sure how I applied the texture to the backface) then everything works just fine !

How much I have yet to learn !

Best regards
                  Nigel

Comment

Working...
                  X