Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rectangular light faces reversed?? (1.48.66)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rectangular light faces reversed?? (1.48.66)

hi, i'm testing vray 1.48.66 and it seems there's something "strange" with rectangular lights. and i call it "strange" because i'm not sure if it's an issue.

when i create a rectangular light and place on top of some objects (e.i. chairs) and i render, there's no light... first i tought it was an issue, but then i discovered that actually the light comes from the top face of the plane (!!) so if i want the light to illuminate my objects, i have to either activate "double sided" option or rotate the rectangular light plane.....

so, why is this? it's an issue? or it's a weird change in this version? is there any way to set back as default the light from the bottom face of the plane?

thank you for any help

Re: rectangular light faces reversed?? (1.48.66)

It will send light from the front side of the face.
    When you use the default SU style, the front side will be white and the backside will be blue. Ensure that the white side points in the direction you want your light. Right-click->Flip Along->Blue Direction to reverse the light direction.

Face normals (front-side vs back-side) matters. One should always keep track of the face normals in models. Nor instance it has great impact on how displacement works. From time to time set you SU style to show only the default material - that way you can quickly inspect your normals.
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

The rect light's up direction will change, depending upon where you place each corner of the light. Try to start drawing the rect, starting from the upper left corner. Then try making another one, starting from the lower left corner.
      Best regards,
      Devin Kendig
      Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

thank you both for your answer

you're absolutely right. i'll be more careful with this basic things, thank you again!

edit: i was checking the vray manual and it seems that this new version creates the rectangular lights backwards as shown in the manual.

the manual says that you have to start from the bottom left corner and make the second point to the top right... now, i tried every way to create rectangular lights and this is what it came out:

so i think it's time to update the old and beloved vray manual

thanks again for all the help!!

Comment

Glad we could solve that for you. You are correct, the manual needs to be updated. We're more concerned about fixing bugs right now though, so we'll get to that once the product works properly.
          Best regards,
          Devin Kendig
          Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

of course thanks for the consideration

i haven't tried the IES lights yet (hope they don't bug me too much xP) but let me tell you this: just the idea of vray+IES = dream come true <3 thank you for that!

i'll sit and wait patiently for the fixes as well as the updated manual

Comment

Just as a heads up, we are still letting people in to test the upcoming patch. The more that test it and give us feedback, the better it will be when it's released. It is a beta version at the moment though, so I completely understand if anyone doesn't want to roll the dice with beta software.

http://forum.asgvis.com/index.php?topic=7679 <== The Mighty Bug Hunt!
              Best regards,
              Devin Kendig
              Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

*clicks*

Comment

Working...
                X