Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question regarding glass

three questions:

1. when creating glass windows, should i model both panes of glass or just a single surface?
    2. should i extrude the surface to give it realistic thickness (like 1/8") or just have a plain surface without thickness?
    3. should this be a single sided material or a double sided material?

Re: Quick question regarding glass

1. I would only reccommend modeling both panes of glass if the scene is going to be very close to a window. If the windows are far enough away so that you really couldn't tell if it was a single- or double-paned window, then just make it a single-pane. V-Ray renders slow when trying to render through two surfaces of glass.

2. It really depends on the scene. If you give the glass thickness, then make sure the glass material has a refraction layer to get more realistic results. If you keep a single surface, then do NOT add a refraction layer. Objects on the other side will look a bit distorted.

Generally, thick glass with refraction takes a little longer to render, but they produce nice results, especially for interior scenes 1/8" or 1/4" will work just fine. In exterior scenes, single-surface glass with no refraction layer will work just fine.

3. That really depends on your personal taste. Personally, I've had no problems keeping the glass as a single-sided material, but I'm sure others have had success with making it a double-sided material.
    I am currently using V-Ray 1.49.01.
    SketchUp 8.0.11752
    Windows 7 Professional-64 bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 K655 @ 3.20GHz
    8.00GB of RAM, 1.2TB Hard Drive

Marcus McLin, Intern - Serena Sturm Architects

Comment

while i'm at it, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this:

it looks like the bump and diffuse maps are misaligned, but the actual image files line up perfectly. also, the tiny white dust specs started appearing out of nowhere.

Comment

Hello!....I'm no expert but I think that you could ease your problem if you tick the option clamp output and sup-pixel under the color mapping tab in vray options, are you using a HDRI image with a sun in it?, if so, that might be the source of the white dots, try blurring the image in photoshop or something like that...
        I don't see the textures misaligned, it's just the bump effect, you might want to try displacement instead of bump and see if it improves ( at the expense of longer render times)...

Good Luck!

P.S: sorry about my bad english.

Comment

Working...
        X