Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need tips on background: postproduction or render?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tips on background: postproduction or render?

I always have doubts about it. Should I add backgrounds in postproduction or directly render them in the scene???

In the scene below, I first tried rendering some grass in the front of the house and a background image as a plane with an emission layer.

Unfortunatelly, the grass got too bright, because of the high GI used to render the internal scene. And the background image got washed out.

So I tried what most people do: render without background, and turn on the alpha layer... so I can add the background in photoshop.

Problem is... its quite difficult to add a background in photoshop in a scene with many reflections and the like.In this image, there are reflections in the floor, reflections in the mirror on the left (not only would I need to properly place the image there but also place it "behind" the curtains in the reflection! There is also reflection on the glass table and on the luminaire... the ideal solution would be to be able to add an image as a background on VRAY, without needing the image to be a 360 degree panoramic to add under the spherical method...

So, how do you deal with the background problem???

Re: Need tips on background: postproduction or render?

Hey there,
    you have different options to get this problem in line:

You could:
    - turn down the multiplier of the outside image maps.
    - increase indoor lighting and balance GI to fit scene.
    - use physical camera and sun, render three images with different exposure values (-1, 0, +1) and put it together as HDRI in Photoshop (just like photographers would wo in the exact same situation)

...that's what comes to my mind right now, possibly there's 100 ways more
    Hope it helps!

Cheers,
    Matt

Comment

it just sucks that each time I want to test a different setting, I have to wait over 25 minutes for it to START to render... even after using the "Remove CG Materials" plugin... all this time to start rendering is really making my life difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by AcesHigh
        it just sucks that each time I want to test a different setting, I have to wait over 25 minutes for it to START to render... even after using the "Remove CG Materials" plugin... all this time to start rendering is really making my life difficult.
        Are you using 1.05.30 ?
        What are the model stats?
        Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

Originally posted by thomthom
          Originally posted by AcesHigh
          Are you using 1.05.30 ?
          What are the model stats?
          yes, 1.05.30 (I am afraid to change to the new version, too many people complaining of bugs and there is even a sticky topic about reverting back to 1.05.30!)

the model is 78 megabytes
          602k edges
          258k faces
          141 component instances

Comment

hm... I've had models like that, but they never took 25 mins to parse. wonder what it can be.

You might as well hold off upgrading until the patch is released. .66 does has a number of issues that can haunt you.
            Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

Or you could sign up for the beta and get a copy of the latest beta. But if you do, remember to back up your models before loading them, it is after all a beta.

Comment

I guess I will wait for the patch.

Do you have any idea about how long till its released?

Comment

ney.

Comment

You might as well hold off upgrading until the patch is released. .66 does has a number of issues that can haunt you.
                    werent 1.48.71 and 1.48.83 already released?

Comment

Anything since .66 has been beta and released only to the beta group.

Comment

Anything since .66 has been beta and released only to the beta group.
                        thanks, I read a guy mentioning them in another forum.

Comment

Either a beta tester or a pirate.

Comment

Working...
                          X