DMC Sampler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMC Sampler

I was under the impression that if you increase the Subdivs Mult in the DMC Sampler then it will increase all Subdiv properties globally.

Now I made a test file and rendered with the Mult at 1.0 and then at 5.0 - there is an improvement in the quality of a glossy material I am testing but if I reset back to 1.0 and go into the material and change the Subdiv from 8 to 40 (5x) then the quality is much higher. Shouldn't this just be a numbers game and get the same result?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DMC Test.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	874269
    Matthew Valero, ASAI

I wonder if the material subdivision is specific to glossy reflection, whereas the global dmc doesn't affect glossy quality. Which parameters are you changing (screengrab of your settings?)

Comment

It should control all glossy subdivisions.

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...params_dmc.htm
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DMC.JPG
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	845376Click image for larger version

Name:	ReflectionSub.JPG
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	845377
      Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

Chaos Guys: Where's Fernando these days, he would know?
        Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

Hi Valero

The Global subdivs Multiplier, basically multiply all the subdivision in the scene with the exception of LC, Photon map, caustics and anti-aliasing subdivision. So everything else is affected by this option (glossy reflection/refraction, lights subdivs, Irr Map, Brute Force, area shadows, etc.)
          Let said that you have a material with glossy reflection of 8 and the Global subdivs Mult is set to 1 ( the default setting for both). The actual samples for the gloss reflection is the square of that number.
          So we have this:

Example 1

Glossy reflection = 8 --> 8 x 8 = 64 samples
          Global Subdivs = 1
          Total samples = 64 x 1 = 64

Example 2

Glossy reflection = 16 --> 16 x 16 = 256 samples
          Global Subdivs = 4
          Total samples = 256 x 4 = 1024

Example 3

Glossy reflection = 8 --> 8 x 8 = 64 samples
          Global Subdivs = 16
          Total samples = 64 x 16 = 1024

Notice that the Example 2 and 3 should produce the same result in the glossy reflection.

I hope this can help.

Fernando

Comment

Always can count on you Fernando. Yes, this answers my question perfectly. So by using 8 and a global subdiv of 5 I was actually getting 320 samples. But when I used 40 and then global subdiv of 1 I was getting 1600 samples. I did not realize the multiplier worked this way. Thanks so much!
            Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

Working...
            X