Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Render Lagginess

Hi guys, just a general "experience" question,

I have a new machine, which the system info can be found in my forum signature here. Here's the situation.

When I render, I always set dynamic memory limit to 4000. I know that VfSU prides for having the ability to continue working on SketchUp files whilst the selected scene is being rendered, but boy how I wouldn't do so because the whole computer lags big time for me. The lag is just unbearable that I decided to do final-rendering whenever I had free time instead (meal breaks, bath, toilet breaks, client meetings, etc), not to mention if there is something wrong with the scene and I had to re-render back.

So the concern here is if setting dynamic memory limit lower than 4000 is a viable solution, or does it affect the render performance in relation to computer usage as a whole when you have 16GB of RAM. I am not even sure if this lag relates to RAM capacity, how much dynamic memory limit we set, or even the computer processor speed (i7 2600 for my machine).

It helps if anyone experienced over this field can share their insight on this. I really want to make good use of this machine's good RAM amount while it performs rendering, which is the reason I bought it at first place.

And as always, thank you in advance for any incoming replies and comments. Cheers.
    Acer Predator G5910 FTW!

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz
    16GB RAM Windows 7 64-bit OS
    SketchUp 8.1 & V-Ray for SketchUp 1.49.01

The amount of memory you have, beyond the 32bit limitation (approximately 4GB) is irrelevant, because SketchUp never uses any memory beyond that, regardless of what plugins you have installed or what your system specs may be. The Dynamic Memory parameter is in regards to geometry that is generated at render time, such as displacement meshes, or proxy objects (which VfS doesn't have yet). Many users make the assumption that this number actually controls the amount of memory our plugin consumes as a whole, or at render time, but this is not the case. I believe that there is a bug in 1.49.01 that prevented us from effectively using the parameter that enables low thread priority, and allows you to use your system with less lag than when this option is not enabled. This effects how much CPU power is devoted to our plugin rather than the amount of memory consumed (as far as I know). If/When SketchUp becomes a 64bit application (not likely any time soon), or we find a viable workaround for this limitation, you would be able to use 16GB of memory if you wish, just as you can in V-Ray for Rhinoceros 64bit.
    Best regards,
    Devin Kendig
    Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

I would not plan on working on much while your machine is rendering. Even with low thread priority my machine is 'rendered' useless until my job has finished. Pun intended.
      Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

Yeah, I had to work on my laptop when my main machine is rendering.
        Acer Predator G5910 FTW!

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz
        16GB RAM Windows 7 64-bit OS
        SketchUp 8.1 & V-Ray for SketchUp 1.49.01

Comment

Working...
        X