Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need upgrade my CPU and Motherboard...looking for advise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need upgrade my CPU and Motherboard...looking for advise.

I realize that I need to upgrade to a new CPU and Motherboard. V-Ray is taking more and more time to complete renders as I add geometry complexity and more materials. Currently running a AMD Phenom II X4 955 at 3.2 Ghz with 8Gb Ram on a ASUS motherboard.

Looking to replace the CPU and MB but don't know what would be the best configuration for V-ray/Sketchup 8

What are you guys using? Would like to hear your opinion!

Thanks!

I just recently replaced my Phenom II X6, 2.8 Ghz, with an AMD FX eight core 3.6 Ghz (AM3+ socket instead of AM3 - so got a new mobo as well.) Highly recommend it - very good bang for the buck. Make sure your case has enough ventilation or get a new case. These put out a lot of heat!

Though if you spend more in Intel - you can get something like an i7-3770, you can see the CPU performance scores here:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Andy
    Last edited by andybot_cg; 20-09-2012, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the information andybot_cg. I was checking AMD's very attractive price. Intel i7 performance is in deed interesting but at a much higher price. Will continue my research and keep you posted!

Comment

Ok, CPU is decided...I will go with the Intel i7 3770. Is at the upper top end of my budget but I think it will make the difference. Now I need to pick the right MB...probably ASUS.

Luis

Comment

What you pay for hardware you will get a return on in render times.
          Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

Got a ASUS PZ77VLX Motherboard. Will start to put everything together this weekend. Will keep posting!

Comment

Finally got the switch finalized. The new MB and Processor are working great. Speed is amazing!

Thank you all for the help.

Luis

Comment

Working...
              X