Replace Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Material

Still no way just to drag a material from the library on to an existing material and have it replace it?
    Matthew Valero, ASAI

Lol, I'm still using the SU material replacer plugin. Please bring back right-click replace material option!

Comment

I think it could be even simpler than that, why not just click and drag on top of the existing material? The workaround I have so far is to paint bucket your material, in the VRay mat editor right click choose Select All Faces, drag the material from the library in, right click, Apply to all Faces. That's like 4 too many steps. I' m not sure why this is feature request has gone ignored since the first beta.
      Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

Originally posted by ValeroStudio View Post
        I think it could be even simpler than that, why not just click and drag on top of the existing material? The workaround I have so far is to paint bucket your material, in the VRay mat editor right click choose Select All Faces, drag the material from the library in, right click, Apply to all Faces. That's like 4 too many steps. I' m not sure why this is feature request has gone ignored since the first beta.
        It looks like it is possible to do copy/paste on the whole material.

Comment

Yes, that is another one. Still a pain as you are loading a material in just to replace another which just seems half baked to me.
          Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

Hi guys,

You are right, we haven't improved the material assignment workflow lately.
            The reason is we are not sure what the best approach would be.
            One thing that we'll surely have in the next version is 'Right-click' on a library material and 'Apply to selection' which will add the mtl to the scene and apply it.
            Some additional functionality may also be implemented.

Thanks for all the suggestions and workflows that you have pointed out. This really helps.

Regards,
            Konstantin

Comment

3 ways that I work with materials using another engine are -

1- Take my SU material and edit parameters with presets or with the material editor
              2- Load an existing material from a library material and then paint it on an object or surface.
              3- replace a SU material entirely with one from a library - should be a one click or a drag operation

I also really like what Ithil did with his Material Wizard for some general presets for materials - that was very useful. I hope he is working on a 3.6 compatibility.
              http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65623

Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

Hi Matthew,

1- Take my SU material and edit parameters with presets or with the material editor
                This is actually the default behavior right now. Every SK material exists in the Asset Editor by default so you can edit it at any point.
                In the material Quick Settings tab we have some initial material presets (as a drop-down menu) that can get you started.

2- Load an existing material from a library material and then paint it on an object or surface.
                As I mentioned in a previous post we have plans to update the library materials workflow in the future.
                Even now you can drag a library material into the materials list. This will automatically create a SketchUp material with the same name and will activate the paint bucket.
                When a new library material is added to the scene it becomes active and you can continue painting with the new one.

3- replace a SU material entirely with one from a library - should be a one click or a drag operation
                This will be added to our to-do list.

I also really like what Ithil did with his Material Wizard for some general presets for materials - that was very useful. I hope he is working on a 3.6 compatibility.
                Once again the material Quick Settings presets work in a similar way.
                Here is a short video demonstrating what you can do with the presets:

Konstantin

Comment

konstantin_chaos That is a great video! Is it possible to have more of these short clips explaining these new features?

Best,
                  AMD Ryzen 9, RTX 2080Super, ArchiCAD 24, Vectorworks 2020, Sketchup 2021 Pro, Vray Next for Sketchup, Skatter, Twinmotion 2020

Comment

Very nice indeed! I do really love the presets, now a simply way to get a library material to overwrite an existing SU material (drag and drop I think) and poof it's perfect!
                    Matthew Valero, ASAI

Comment

One thing that we'll surely have in the next version is 'Right-click' on a library material and 'Apply to selection' which will add the mtl to the scene and apply it.
                      Hi Konstantin,

If we could have a command shortcut for "Select all objects in scene" for the selected material and after that "Right-click' on a library material and 'Apply to selection' that would be great !
                      Regards,
                      Mousa Abu Doush
                      Architect | 3D Artist
                      www.sketchuparchive.com

Comment

Originally posted by sketchup_archive View Post

Hi Konstantin,

If we could have a command shortcut for "Select all objects in scene" for the selected material and after that "Right-click' on a library material and 'Apply to selection' that would be great !
                        Yes, that's the easiest thing to implement and we'll surely have it for the next release.

Konstantin

Comment

Great, thanks!
                          Regards,
                          Mousa Abu Doush
                          Architect | 3D Artist
                          www.sketchuparchive.com

Comment

Working...
                          X