Continuing Render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing Render

Is there any way that you can enable us to continue a render?

well heart desires to continue a render which unwillingly cancelled(like shut down of computer, or program error) but i know this is not a very posible thing to do

but more importantly is it posible to pause a render, save the files somewhere, then i donno shut down the computer, after a while turn on the computer and continue same render from that file?
    Onur Olguner<br />Architect<br />METU &#39;07<br />http://www.olgunerdesign.com

Re: Continuing Render

Yes and no. There is no explict way to just continue where you left off (although I agree that would be a great feature). However there is a way that you could make use of information that you've already calculated. The first part that you would need to do is save all of the precalculation information. If you are using any calculation method other than QMC than you can save and reuse those solutions. Usually for any final renders or big tests I try to save those solutions just in case and also to reuse them later if need be. That will allow you to get around doing the precalculations over again and if you save to a VRImage you will be able to salvage some of the rendering as well. The VRImage format actually writes the information to a file after the end of every bucket, so you would have all of the information up to the buckets that were rendering at the time of the crash/blackout/whatever. In the next beta it will probably be an option to reverse the rendering sequence which you could let calculate until it got to the part of the image which was already finished. Then you would have to combine the two images together in Photoshop or something. Not a simple button, but doing it could definitely save you if your in for a long render. Saving the solutions is a relatively easy part of the process, but the VRImage thing is going to take a little more time/setup to actually use.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

There is a means to pause a rendering I believe - its not supplied by default in the V-Ray sdk, but there is functionality that would make it possible. I'd have to look into it. This, however, would not continue if you shutdown the machine or whatever, but just regular pausing (like a video game ).
      Best regards,
      Joe Bacigalupa
      Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

hi!
        any development on this?? will the SR able to pause our renders????
        ...SU6 Pro...VFSU...KT...<br />// Intel Q6600 Core2Quad 2.4Ghz // 3Gb Ram // Geforce 8800 GTX //

Comment

No we aren't working on pausing for this service-release. We do have it in our big todo list though. So maybe for the next major release we will squeeze it in.
          Best regards,
          Joe Bacigalupa
          Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
          X