Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxy objects

Example:
    Landscape model. Lots of trees which make SU kneel if they're 3D models.
    Being able to use 2D or low poly objects in SU, then link them up with some higher poly objects for V-Ray.
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Re: Proxy objects

Its on our radar, but there are a lot of things to figure out about the implementation of them. I'm also not sure if this functionality is currently available to us via the V-Ray SDK. I know that VfC4D doesn't have them because it wasn't available.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Understood. So the features available in V-Ray Studio Max isn't all available to the plugin makers for other apps? So this might then be a feature request for Chaosgroup?
      Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

This is a very non-programmer description of it, so here it goes. The stuff they have in vfmax is just "there"...ie they want it, they program it. That's not what we have do though (or any port of V-Ray). The ChaosGroup allows us to use their SDK (software development kit) that exposes the things we can use/need to tie v-ray into SU or Rhino. The SDK (AFAIK) isn't 100% complete. CG have been constantly developing it, but its still not completely there. So we can only use what they have exposed/allowed us to use. We make requests and Joe works with Vlado to let him know what we need. I'm sure the request has already been made, but it still takes time for Vlado to do what is needed to make it available for us.

Thats only a portion of the issue though, because once we can use them, we have to figure out how to implement them. This means trying to understand how proxies would fit into workflows, how you would add them, save them, how they would be displayed, and the big one actually making them work.

Maybe too much info (and the first part is probably grossly mis-stated), but thats what it take to get from point A to point B.

Comment

I see. It wasn't too much info. It's nice to know how it work-ish.

Comment

Glad I could shed a little light on it. Sometimes people don't realize its more then just us deciding what we want to do...there's stuff from CG, but there's also what SketchUp allows us to do as well. I'm even less familiar with that, but from what I've gathered from Joe the SU capabilities are not nearly as robust as Rhino or Max...another player in the game

Comment

Working...
            X