object channels... or render selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• object channels... or render selection

im not sure if this has been requested already or if its already incorporated into SR1 but in vray for max 2009, you can render object channels where u get a black and white alpha of a selected item in the scene, so u can select glass and render out a channel and that can be ur reflection layer in PS, or select the people and get a channel of all the people in the scene for tweeking in PS. maybe a render selected function...

Re: object channels... or render selection

Oh yes please.
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

I just saw an article about it, and it's a very handy feature!
      www.Top3Dstudio.com
      SU 8
      VfS 1.48.89
      Win 7 64-bit

Comment

so what do you say dalomar??? ;D

Comment

The RenderID channel look interesting. It gives you an coloured output where each group or component has it's own colour. That could be useful. I wonder what the MaterialID is for, just returns a black and white silhouette of the scene.
          Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

is material id in SR1?

Comment

Thanks for keeping things under wraps Thom

What Thomas is referring to are some of the new channels that will be available in the next build (probably tomorrow, maybe wednesday). The RenderID channel assigns a unique color for each object, which you can then use to select that object in post. That might get you partially where your looking to go, and should definitely work in the time being. There are a few channels that aren't 100% hooked up and I think MaterialID is one of them.

As for the original request of an individual channel for a given object, I think that will be a possibility, but I'm not sure what it would take or how it would work in terms of UI. I'll have to do a little research on this myself to see what the best way to attack this would look like. I'll keep it in mind and see where we can fit it in within development.
              Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

They where new? Oooops!

Comment

im trying to keep up with these max guys with vray, they seem to be quicker in workflow (with materials and whatnot) but they cant model as quick as i can in sketchup (haha) in max they can render out a single channel (black and white) that pops out in a couple of seconds for glass or people or whatever they need to edit, would having a material id render not take longer? needing to render everything in the scene...

but if u could choose the colours that the material id recognizes i suppose u could make everything u dont want black and the material u need a channel of white, bobs ur uncle...

all that said, a "render selected" option would still be pretty cool, fixing botched materials would be a breeze.

Comment

perhaps i did something wrong but Render ID's output is jaggy??? cant really use it as a selection tool in PS...

Comment

its supposed to be that way. The concept behind that channel is that every distinct object gets its own individual (random) color so that you can select just that object via the color in post. The channel is not antialiased because this would produce new colors that are not directly related to the original colors, and may be a color that another object in the scene is using. You're running into an issue with selecting the edge of the object, which really would be an issue if it was antialiased as well. A quick 1-2 in PS is to select via range (choose the color of the object you want), Shrink that selection by a pixel or two, then feather the selection. Its not perfect, but it usually does a fairly good job. And by the way, this issue matters less and less with large and larger images.

Comment

Originally posted by dalomar
                        you're running into an issue with selecting the edge of the object, which really would be an issue if it was antialiased as well.
                        ??? so its not an issue? thats all i want to do with it - select objects (an object is defined by its edge), like one would with an alpha map...

Comment

did you go through the steps I suggested? The channel itself is not meant to be the main way of exactly selecting objects, but you can still do quite well with it if you get a little crafty with the PS selection tools

Comment

Working...
                          X