Reference layers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference layers

I find that I use some layer setups between material. But I have to set up the same type of layer between all materials individually. It would be great if we could have a layers list, similar to the material list, so we can use the same layer for multiple materials. Like you can so in 3DSmax.
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Re: Reference layers

Are you saying instance layers, so a modification in one will propagate through the others. Or that you can load a single layer to a material as opposed to just being able to load a material?

The first would be much more of an ordeal, both with interface and workflow, but the second would be much more plausible.
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

First one. ;D
      Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

How exactly would you expect that to work? One of the biggest things that I had with Max was that it was hard to see what was instanced and what wasn't. Would you expect there to be some visualization of the instancing behavior? I'm just trying to think how we would possibly support this in terms of workflow and UI. I don't think linking the data is the hardest part of this. To me, its more about how do you make the connection, how do you manage the connection, and how would you break the connection. Any thoughts would be helpful.
        Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

That's a good point. Some indication to whether a layer is a reference or not. Maybe some colour tint or outline of the layer name or layer slot. And unlinking would most likely be desired.

Maybe the Materials windows would have two tabs over the material list. One being Materials and one being Layers. You'd only need to use the Layers tab to create a reference Layer.

Then when you want to add a new layer to a material you can choose from Normal and Referenced from the right click menu. Referenced layers could be indicated by a different icon in the Material layer list.

Haven't thought of the UI and workflow of the feature. But it's an interesting challenge. I'll think some more of it and post back.

Being able to copy and paste layers between materials would be a much more important and useful feature than these reference materials. But I do feel it could be useful.
          curious to what the rest of the forum thinks.

Comment

Working...
          X