New version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New version

I their.... I was wondering wen we can expect an new version of vray for sketchup...?

www.DWanimations.org | Makes your work come to life

Re: New version

There will be one more "minor" update to coincide with the initial release of VfSU for the Mac. We're shooting for about 2 months from now, but that might extend beyond that. We should be starting the beta testing for that release (both on the PC and Mac sides) in a few weeks. At the moment there will be very few changes/features that will be offered, although this release is working on a completely revamped core (hence the reason I put minor in quotes...the reality is that its a huge change that for the most part you guys won't really see) and will have some noticeable improvements to scene parsing.

After that we will be working full force on the next FULL version of VfSU. This will be focused on new features such as additional materials and proxies, as well as UI changes and a whole host of other things. This is much farther away and we really won't know what the time tables are for that until we get into the development for that version.

The most recent version of VfSU is still 1.05.30 by the way
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

Dalomar:
      Quick question...when you talk about the next full version and changing the UI, you guys wont be making it completely different from other versions such as the 3dmax one? I personally would be dissappointed because I like that they work fairly similar to one another and that I have the flexibility to use either modeler without having to learn two completely different UI's. Also, not to be a nag...but could you speak a little on the "whole host of other things"? I will not hold you to anything and anybody that reads this post should not either, but it would be nice to know a little bit of what you guys have at the top of the list and are wokring on?...like IES and etc...?

Comment

The interface improvements will give you guys a lot more choices. You could work with the exact same interface that you're working with now (with some minor changes/additions), or you could choose to work with a simplified version. We don't want to limit people who want to use our current interface, but we also want to offer something for people who may be just starting with VfSU or not using it all the time.

I really would prefer not to elaborate on a "whole host of other things". Its not that I feel like keeping things from you, its just that since we haven't really started with all of the things for the new version, it makes it very hard to talk about what might be included in it. There are things that I just won't let the new version out the door without (such as proxies, UI and materials), so the "whole host of other things" are very much dependent on how those required features get developed. Most of the items on the "host of other things" list are "island" type requests (they stand on their own and don't relate to much) or small groupings of 2-4 features that are kinda together. Some things I'd through into this list are duplicating the framebuffer, reorganizing the Render Progress window so the progress bar is on the top (easier to hide/takes up less screen space), normal mapping, supporting EXRs for rendering to VRImage (no converter necessary), some added procedural textures, etc. Individually these features may be useful/valuable to you or not, but when you put them all together it will just make for a better experience with VfSU. Ultimately though there are other features that are much more important and much more impactful in their own right, so as of right now, our focus is on those. I will be much more "open" about these once we get farther on in the development for the next full version.

Comment

Understandable response....I will be looking forward to any developements and I wish you guys the best of luck with your progress

Comment

We'll keep you posted. The development team started their own blog (http://asgvisdev.blogspot.com/), so I'd keep an eye on that. As soon as we start knocking things off the list (or even just get a good chunk of work done on something) we'll try and let you guys know.

Comment

what about unbiased rendering for Vray for sketchup to get some realistic images or is this not on your agenda

Comment

isn't DMC unbiased?

Comment

No, DMC is biased.

Besides, there absolutely no reason that a good biased render engines (like V-Ray) can't produce photorealistic results as good (or better) than unbiased engines. This myth has been flying around for years now (no doubt propogated by unbiased engine developers to justify render times) that "true" photorealism is only possible using unbiased methods, but it's nonsense. V-Ray's biased engines are more than accurate enough to produce completely convincing photorealistic results and in probably 1/100th of the time that most biased engines require, which is why it's so widely used in the professional CG viz industry.

For an demo of just what V-Ray (for Max) is capable of, check out this film- all rendered on one i7 pc. Warning... it's probably the best one-man CG film ever made, makes you sick. LOL

http://www.vimeo.com/7809605
                  SU 2018 + VfSU 4.0

Comment

I saw that a couple of weeks ago... that guy is amazing. The behind the scenes is even better.

Comment

Working...
                    X