VRay Settings Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay Settings Template

This wish really has more to do with the forum rather than the VRay itself.

Whenever we have a question or a problem that we post up, I've noticed how important it is to list all of the settings we've adjusted in the VRay Options so that others can better solve the problem.

Typing out each of the tons of settings can be a hassle at times, especially if you're on a time crunch and need a quick answer asap.

It would be cool if there was some kind of template that we could attach to the post that would list our settings.

Or better yet, if there was a spot at the bottom of the screen that lets us upload our .visopt files so that when we send a post, the settings from the .visopt file will be displayed at the bottom of the post. It would save a lot of time in trying to explain all of the setting changes that were made and make it easier for someone reading the post to spot where the problem may have occurred.

I'm no computer wiz, but I was just picturing how when people upload a jpeg online, they first click the "Browse" button, then select a jpeg image saved on their computer and click "Upload," then just like that, their image is uploaded on the web. I can see someone doing the same thing for this forum, but instead of jpegs, it uploads .visopt files. And when you click the "Post" button to send the post, it shows your post and a neatly catagorized spreadsheet of your settings.
    I am currently using V-Ray 1.49.01.
    SketchUp 8.0.11752
    Windows 7 Professional-64 bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 K655 @ 3.20GHz
    8.00GB of RAM, 1.2TB Hard Drive

Marcus McLin, Intern - Serena Sturm Architects

Re: VRay Settings Template

Well, we had the option to attach files to the posts for a little while, and the space on the server dwindled quickly, so I don't think that we'll be allowing that until we found a way around that.

As to the "meat" of your wish I don't think we're actually too far off from this. Our formats (visOpts and visMats) in the next release will be XML based. What that means is that you can open them up in any text editor or browser even. That's all find and dandy, but staring at xml isn't too inviting either. However, you can use the equivalent of a style sheet to display an xml file, so that could potentially mean that clicking on a visOpt could open up another window in your browser and you'd see everything all nice and laid out.

This is still something that I have to research more and spend some time messing around with, but I don't think that there should really be any issue with achieving this. Hopefully we can set this up so adding the stylesheet is done at installation, so any browser turns into an visOpt/visMat reader. Does that sound like a decent compromise?
    Damien Alomar<br />Generally Cool Dude

Comment

That sounds pretty cool to me! As long as there's a quick and easy way for people to look at a nice spreadsheet of the settings. Sounds like you guys are way ahead of me on that. I can't wait for the updated version!
      I am currently using V-Ray 1.49.01.
      SketchUp 8.0.11752
      Windows 7 Professional-64 bit
      Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 K655 @ 3.20GHz
      8.00GB of RAM, 1.2TB Hard Drive

Marcus McLin, Intern - Serena Sturm Architects

Comment

I agree with the template so you have at least basic things pre-setup, like exterior, interior, and you can custom your settings and save the file for next time you want load the settings and always you can modify any aspect... Would be good.

Always wishing...
        The best that I can do is keep learning, and the Renderings are just a small step to get real.
        THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FICTION AND REALITY IS WHEN FICTION HAS TO BE CREDIBLE
        http://WWW.URBANGROUPUSA.COM

Comment

Working...
        X