A simple solution to editing lights in scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A simple solution to editing lights in scenes

A Scene may contain many lights, most are always hidden by other geometry. Instead of constantly
    1. zooming out
    2. find a Light object
    3. clicking to edit Light object
    4. zoom back to previous camera view.

It would be more practical to have all lights in a Scene to appear on one central list.
    I would add them on the Material Editor Tree. Here the user would be to able change the name of each light,
    just like he/she does now for materials. Simply, click to edit each light on the list, and don't forget, delete ..... Voila!

cheers!

Re: A simple solution to editing lights in scenes

Yes - an light editor would be nice.

What works as an alternative is to use the Outliner and use the filter to get a list of V-Ray lights.
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

+1

Originally posted by Thomthom
      What works as an alternative is to use the Outliner and use the filter to get a list of V-Ray lights.
      This is actually what I do when I want to edit/find/select a vray light, using SU's Outliner.
      www.Top3Dstudio.com
      SU 8
      VfS 1.48.89
      Win 7 64-bit

Comment

The outliner works fine, we had toyed around with the idea of a light editor, but really the outliner works great.
        Best regards,
        Devin Kendig
        Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Originally posted by dkendig
          The outliner works fine, we had toyed around with the idea of a light editor, but really the outliner works great.
          I wouldn't say "great". What would be great would be to have a window with a list of the light and their properties that let you select multiple lights and adjust properties in bulk on the selected lights.
          Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

Yes, being able to adjust multiple lights at the same time would indeed be great.

Comment

+1 for the light editor (with multi-light editing)

Comment

I have a tip to help with multi light editing....

You can 'envelope' a vray light in a blank component that way if you have say an office floor with a load of same lights, or a group of like downlighters etc etc you can adjust them globally by editing just one of the instances... if you need a bit more individuality, just make some of them unique and off you go....

Obviously this is only good for similar light types...

This does not mean that i wouldn't want to see a light editor of some kind... but just a work around in the interim...

Hope this helps a bit

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X