Material ID or object ID channels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material ID or object ID channels.

To me, this is one of the most important tools you have to have for any rendering engine. I know that vray for Max has this, just wondering why its not available in the sketchup version? Any serious 3d illustrator needs masking of materials for post production work.

Will this be possible in the future with vray for sketchup? Its a critical factor in purchasing of Vray licenses for our offices as without it, it can add hours of extra time per rendering.

thank you

Re: Material ID or object ID channels.

Its somewhat related to that SU itself has very poor support for UV mapping. Other modelling software has UV gizmos that let you assign different UV mapping channel to the mapping gizmos, but SU has no such thing.
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

There has to be a way around it as Maxwell render does a great job with making Material ID and Object ID channels from sketchup models. So there has to be a way if others are doing it. The whole reason i am learning vray is for deadlines that Maxwell Render cant finish in time. But im finding that Maxwells ability to adjust lighting levels while rendering and it ability to produce these extra channels is making it much more competitive to Vray than i thought. I am liking many things about Vray but if i dont have a really quick deadline, Maxwell is choice #1 currently.

Comment

I already contacted "bug report" about that, cause IMO it's a kind of bug. As for Zdepth that sometime works sometime dont.

Comment

a feature request is not a bug
          Best regards,
          Devin Kendig
          Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

----------
            ----------
            Fixes:
            - Fixed a logic error in some of the render plugin parameters that caused a memory leak
            - Fixed an issue that caused the Light Cache layout to not show properly if it was both primary and secondary engine
            - Fixed problem that caused importing materials to fail if the new material has a differet name than the material you were importing into

Changes:
            - Added "Cast shadows" option to default material. This specifies whether or not the material will cast shadows
            - Added "Only visible in secondary" option to default material. This makes it possible to have a material only show up in reflections or refractions
            - Added "ID Color" to default material. This color allows you to set what color will show up in the Material ID VFB render channel
            - Modified the way the "Options" panel in our default material UI looks to accomodate new options
            whoops! Oh well, we added it anyway. This is the change log for our latest beta version, so don't expect to see a stable release heading your way with this change in it immediately. We have to try to work out some more kinks and test this build a lot more before we will feel good about giving it out to everyone. If anyone is interested in testing this new feature to see if it works as expected, feel free to join our beta testing team, and give us some feedback. You can sign up here:

Otherwise, just hang on for a while, and once our testers tell us that this build is ready, we will have this version (or whatever version is stable) available for download in our support section.
            Best regards,
            Devin Kendig
            Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Material ID is great! It's even anti-aliased!

Great way to generate three masks in one render pass if you use Red, Green Blue and extract each of the colour channels.
              Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

- Added "Cast shadows" option to default material. This specifies whether or not the material will cast shadows
                ZOMG!
                This just hit my brain! This will come in VERY handy to stage environment backdrops!

Comment

is anyone make a example how to use the id channel? I still didn't get it how does it work and what's that for?

Regards,

Comment

Lets say I have a scene where I have some area's of interests that I'd like to post process:

For that I need some masks. In the example I gave the three different materials an different Material ID colour, Red, Green, Blue (!00% of each)

When I render, the Material ID channel looks like this:

Notice that the ground and fourth material which I was not interested in does not appear.

Now, in PhotoShop I can extract each of the colour channels and use them as separate masks.

Note that when you use the Material ID to generate masks like this you can't have more than three colours and you must use Red, Green and Blue be cause you are extracting the colour channels. If you use any other colour it will cross over to multiple channels - which is not what you want.

Now - this isn't the only usage, but it's the most obvious one.

Comment

Thanks thomthom.
                      now i get it.

Comment

Working...
                      X