Copy and Paste Layers in Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy and Paste Layers in Materials

Would really like to be able to right click and copy then paste a layer setup to another material.
    Example - right click a reflection layer setup on a glass window material and paste it into a glass door material. Or even be able to completely replace the entire material with copy and paste/replace.
    Matthew Valero, ASAI

+1e1000000!
    Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

Am working on a KTV project right now and dealt with a lot of creating new materials matching the current one (existing emissive layers, reflection layers, etc). I must say that crossed my mind during the project lol, so +1 (a million if possible).
      Acer Predator G5910 FTW!

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz
      16GB RAM Windows 7 64-bit OS
      SketchUp 8.1 & V-Ray for SketchUp 1.49.01

Comment

hmm, perhaps an "import layers from material" option, or something along those lines would work? I think that might be a little easier to pull off, plus you could potentially allow this to import layers from materials that aren't in your scene.
        Best regards,
        Devin Kendig
        Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier if we can just drag and drop the layer after the material's drop down list and drop it on other material?
          Acer Predator G5910 FTW!

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz
          16GB RAM Windows 7 64-bit OS
          SketchUp 8.1 & V-Ray for SketchUp 1.49.01

Comment

I'd imagine it would be difficult to do with more than 20 materials in the scene
            Best regards,
            Devin Kendig
            Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Normally I configure only a small set of material in the scene. How about a "workset" when you isolate the materials in question. That way all those useless materials you never change won't bloat the list.

I've been using the slate material editor in max recently and I do like how I can make multiple materials refer to the same texture entity. Really saves a lot of extra work.
              Please mention what V-Ray and SketchUp version you are using when posting questions.

Comment

in the end, it would be best to just refer to existing assets rather than making unnecessary duplicates, I agree. We are hopeful that we will be able to move in that direction, it was part of our original design, but we have yet to fully realize it. We are essentially doing this with the materials that take sub materials. All they are doing is referring to an existing asset in the scene, and not making a duplicate of it. There are times when duplicates are more useful than references though, so having the ability to do both would probably work best.
                Best regards,
                Devin Kendig
                Developer

Chaos Group

Comment

Working...
                X