Bake looks NOTHING like render.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bake looks NOTHING like render.

I think the title speaks for itself. What is going wrong?
    Attached Files
    Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Hi, Macker

What is you lighting setup? I see a couple of IES lights and rectangle lights but in the render there is white outside so I would presume a dome light. The black/dark parts of the tiles look like bad or no lightmap UVs. Please give a bit more information.

Best regards,
    Alexander
    Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Hi Aleksander,

Yes there is a plain white dome light outside. The tiles are looking bad because of the lightmap UV's, which I've fixed now. I don't understand why the windows have turned black - in VRay they are just black diffuse, White reflection & refraction.

Also without wanting to muddy the waters - is there a certain amount of padding I should be using when unwrapping UV's?

Kind regards,
      Chris
      Last edited by Macker; 09-01-2019, 01:41 AM.

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

Hi, Chris

Is there a certain amount of padding I should be using when unwrapping UV's
        A good practice is to have a couple of pixels padding around the UV shells, maybe around 2 to 5 pixels should be OK.

Can you please try a lightbake without the IES light, because there is a little issue with them and maybe they cause the dramatic lighting mis-match. Also I would suggest to put a Reflection capture in the scene. That helps with the reflections and sometimes brightens the lighting.

Best regards,
        Alexander
        Alexander Atanasov

Chaos

Comment

Will do. What about the black glass windows? Why should they be like that/not letting light through?

The setup I have on them in VRay/Max is as simple as it can be.

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

Nothing comes to mind. When I try to do the same with refractive material it works fine. There is currently a bug that we are aware of with the shadows after light bake to be much brighter than they should and we are addressing that issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UE4Editor_2019-01-09_14-22-06.png
Views:	615
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	1022408
            Can you send a vrscene with only the window and the glass to check if we can reproduce it here?

Regards,
            Alexander
            Last edited by Alexander.Atanasov; 09-01-2019, 05:26 AM.
            Alexander Atanasov

Chaos

Comment

A lot of the issues I've been experiencing are down to having not flattened the lightmap UV's, etc. I've fixed a lot of it now, but the black glass remains.

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	836.9 KB
ID:	1022436

Here's the room with just the windows & walls: https://we.tl/t-RfI0VWDPwu

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

Hi, Chris

I've looked at the file you sent. I imported the vrscene, added a dome light and just hit bake and it worked fine.

Name:	UE4Editor_2019-01-10_09-20-01.png
Views:	624
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	1022519

Maybe there is something inside the window that you didn't export? Can you check that there is nothing obstructing the glass. If you can't find anything you can send the whole project at support@chaosgroup.com and we will take a look to find the problem.

Best regards,
                Alexander
                Alexander Atanasov

Chaos

Comment

That is so odd! When I exported (my) .vrscene I exported everything. Maybe I'll just delete the windows and just re-import them - is there a particular workflow for this?

I've just imported the scene that I sent you and still have the same issue; so it must be local to me?
                  Last edited by Macker; 10-01-2019, 03:37 AM.

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

The current workflow is the following:
                    - delete the the assets you want to reimport both in the level and in the content browser (this is also valid for materials if you what to reimport them. If the the materials are not deleted from he content browser they will be assigned to the newly imported meshes automatically)
                    - import the newly created .vrscene - V-Ray will check for similar assets and will skip the ones that are already in the Content Browser and will import the new ones.
                    Alexander Atanasov

Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander.Atanasov View Post
                      Can you please try a lightbake without the IES light, because there is a little issue with them and maybe they cause the dramatic lighting mis-match.
                      Hey Alexander,
                      is there still a problem with baking lights in a scene with IES lightprofiles? Cause I tried to bake a scene in Unreal with some IES lights and the spots turned black and a message with "could not load IES profiles" (or similiar to this) came up.
                      So what is the current status there?

Best regards,
                      Simeon

Comment

Working...
                      X