Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayRefraction: Glass Shader?

I just tried a VrayMtl with Refraction.
    VrayUnreal just doesn't render it at all.

Is refraction not supported yet?

thank you - cheers
    www.bernhardrieder.com
    rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

update:
    for some reason the reflection is not turned-on automatically after importing. I don't know why. But the reflection worked fine, as soon as I activated it.
    hhhhmmmmm..

Refraction Fog + Abberration?
    I guess these features are not supported yet, right?
    www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Hi, Bernhard

On import of a refractive material we set the refraction IOR to 1. This is done because in Unreal the refraction is not physically accurate and if you have a lot of glass windows, like a storefront for example, that will cause a weird refraction if the IOR isn't set 1.
      Below are example of the issue I am talking about:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IOR_Import.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	710.4 KB
ID:	1030572

As you have already mentioned, you will have to manually tweak the IOR for it to render properly, e.g. glasses for drinking, glass for lighting fixtures and such.

Tell us what would be your preferred logic for the matter and we can invert the logic on import and set theIOR to what is set in the original scene and you can later tweak the glass materials that don't look good in Unreal.

Refraction Fog + Abberration?
      I guess these features are not supported yet, right?
      The fog color and abberrations are on the to-do list and will be available in future builds.

Best regards,
      Alexander
      Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

I see what you mean. well, I guess it would be helpful to have a standard glass IOR in the refraction --> for standard import plus reflection values.
        So the object isn't invisible after import.

That would be my preferred option - and yes, I can tweak the glass shader later for sure - but without Fog you also can't replicate tinted glass. And almost every glass has some kind of tint.

@VrayMtl:
        if I have the most important options available I can replicate the Unreal-Render to the offline render almost 100%.

But in order to do so, it's critical to have such options in place.
        My main goal is clear: I want to animate in Unreal - that's huge for me.

But in order to have the same look, and the exact same output - yes, I rely on the same main options and features when creating a VrayMtl in max.

I am more than happy to help and support in the dev-work for testing etc - just let me know!

most important shader features for the VrayMtl:
        - all Reflection and Refraction options we know we can use in all other packages (max, maya, etc.)

most important VrayLight options:
        - directional option (this is major)
        - the use of texture maps + the VraySoftbox to change the behavior of the light (major)

PhysCam:
        - automated vray physcam export including all shutter speed options (still or movie cam), plus DOF + MB

if those listed components are ready - OMG - then I do have a super powerful rocket ready to launch!
        That would be AMAZING!!!

have a great weekend Alex and keep rocking!
        cheers!

www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Working...
        X