Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

Hi Chaos team!

I'm brand new in the Unreal Vray plugin. So far i think it's amazing and has a lot of potential, congrats! Light baking quality is superb compared to UE4 default internal engine.

-So, my main concern comes form light baking speed. I've done all the Unwrap UVW's perfectly well and still, it takes forever to render. Makes no sense compared to a normal VFB render of the same resolution.

-Also, when it comes to render the baked lighting, only uses CPU until it's 70% capability; 0% on GPU's. Is this normal??

-And the Vray Bake settings. No settings to tweak! Just quality between 0,1 and 2 ¿¿?? I guess you may want to make it easy BUT, we need to tweak LC settings, AA, Noise treshold, progressive or bucket, etc, etc.... Also, no settings for denoising in bake lighting. No options at all...

Will be this way forever?

Thanks in advance,
    Alex Roman
    www.thirdseventh.com

Alexander?
    www.thirdseventh.com

Comment

"-Also, when it comes to render the baked lighting, only uses CPU until it's 70% capability; 0% on GPU's. Is this normal??" ------------> My bad! GPU is running at 90%

Alex
      www.thirdseventh.com

Comment

Hi, Alex

Thank you for your interest and your feedback on our product!

So, my main concern comes form light baking speed. I've done all the Unwrap UVW's perfectly well and still, it takes forever to render. Makes no sense compared to a normal VFB render of the same resolution.
        The light bake does additional calculation for each mesh and material that are not required in the normal render and that makes the bake slower than the VFB render. With each new release we are doing optimizations and improvements that reduces the baking process.

Also, when it comes to render the baked lighting, only uses CPU until it's 70% capability; 0% on GPU's. Is this normal?? ------------> My bad! GPU is running at 90%
        And the Vray Bake settings. No settings to tweak! Just quality between 0,1 and 2
        What quality preset are you using for bake? Here are the presets and what are they actually doing under the hood:

Preview - Progressive Image Sampler; minSubdivs - 8; maxSubdivs - 32; Sample Limit - 100; Noise threshold - 0.3; Light Cache subdivs - 300; Retrace - 2; Denoiser -Strong denoising with strength 2 and radius 15
        Medium - Bucket Image Sampler; minSubdivs - 8; maxSubdivs - 32; Sample Limit - 1000; Noise threshold - 0.1; Light Cache subdivs - 1200; Retrace - 4; Denoiser -Default denoising with strength 1 and radius 10
        High - Bucket Image Sampler; minSubdivs - 8; maxSubdivs - 32; Sample Limit - 2000; Noise threshold - 0.005; Light Cache subdivs - 3000; Retrace - 8; Denoiser -Default denoising with strength 1 and radius 10

I guess you may want to make it easy BUT, we need to tweak LC settings, AA, Noise treshold, progressive or bucket, etc, etc.... Also, no settings for denoising in bake lighting. No options at all...Will be this way forever?
        As you said we wanted to make it as easy to use as possible without the clutter of numerous settings. We are looking into ways to give experienced V-Ray users extended options, so far our approach has been "Less is more".

Best regards,
        Alexander
        Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Wonderful, thank you Alexander,

So, now, it's just for me to wait until these expert setting are released inside for us to tweak them! Any ETA so far for this? Also, can i access to the lighmap file to retouch it in PS?

Cheers,
          Alex
          www.thirdseventh.com

Comment

Cannot give you ETA on those expert settings. For the lightmap retouch, this is an upcoming feature that will be available in the next couple of months.

Best regards,
            Alexander
            Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Awesome. Thanks!
              A.
              www.thirdseventh.com

Comment

Hmmm... I am confused.
                When using the new Raytracing option inside the Unreal Engine, do you still need to bake?

Last edited by bernhard; 06-06-2019, 10:13 AM.
                www.bernhardrieder.com
                rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                X