Vray for Unreal to just Unreal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray for Unreal to just Unreal

I'm just getting into using Unreal after having used 3ds max and Vray for quite some time.

I was wondering if using Vray for Unreal would allow a project to more easily be converted to Unreal than just trying to go straight from 3ds max.

Does Vray for Unreal have tools to convert materials and lights from its own format to those of Unreal so one could export/save an Unreal file that someone without Vray for Unreal could open and either render or continue working?

I've been trying to convert a project from 3ds max using Vray to unreal using Datasmith and its turning out to be a real chore.

Thanks.

V Miller

Hello V Miller,

Sorry for the late reply.

I was wondering if using Vray for Unreal would allow a project to more easily be converted to Unreal than just trying to go straight from 3ds max.
    Converting a project from Max to Unreal is relatively easy depending on the complexity of the scene. With the latest release (V-Ray for Unreal, update 3) we added a max script that optimizes your scene material and unwraps your geometry for light baking. You can get the script and documentation how to use it from here: VRayMaterialOptimizer. and you can check the vidoe for the latest release here: V-Ray for Unreal, update 3.

Does Vray for Unreal have tools to convert materials and lights from its own format to those of Unreal so one could export/save an Unreal file that someone without Vray for Unreal could open and either render or continue working?
    The V-Ray materials and lights in Unreal are native Unreal materials and Unreal blueprints. But in order for someone else to open the project will require him to have the plugin. That the limitation at the moment.

I've been trying to convert a project from 3ds max using Vray to unreal using Datasmith and its turning out to be a real chore.
    Can you please elaborate a bit what you find laborious in the datasmith workflow.

Best regards,
    Alexander
    Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Thanks for the answers Alexander,

That script looks really handy. I had used the more basic version that had been posted elsewhere in the forums that does the auto unwrap and that has helped quite a bit. The fact that script you posted a link to does a material optimization will probably go a long way to solving some of the other problems I was having. The Datasmith conversions were problematic mostly in terms of how it was converting materials from what I had set up in 3ds max and Vray to Unreal. Some of the node trees for the converted materials on the Unreal side were overly complex but I'm not really familiar with how one goes about creating such things in that software.

I'll give that new script a try.

Thanks,

V Miller

Comment

Hi,

Is there anything similar for maya ? -> V-Ray Material Optimizer Script

cheers,

Olivier
        www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

HI Oliver,

There is no such script available at the moment. I will log in your request and will write back when there is some development.

Best regards,
          Alexander
          Last edited by Alexander.Atanasov; 09-03-2022, 03:04 AM.
          Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander.Atanasov View Post
            HI waaazoo,

There is no such script available at the moment. I will log in your request and will write back when there is some development.

Best regards,
            Alexander
            Thanks !
            Olivier
            www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Working...
            X