Rendering lightbake atlases with Standalone using mostly CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rendering lightbake atlases with Standalone using mostly CPU

My local system has 4 GPUs, but when I render a series of lightbake atlases my CPU works around 85% but all 4 GPUs only bump along at 3-5%?
    My GPUs are older Titan X(pascal), not RTX.
    I've been setting -rtEngine=5 in VRAY standalone.

Does this performance seem right? I thought my GPUs would be used more.

Hi sfolts,

What devices have you set in the "Select Devices for V-Ray GPU" tool? You can access it either from ІІStart MenuІІ>Programs>V-Ray for Unreal>Select Devices for V-Ray GPU or from "C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\Unreal\tools\vray_gpu_device_select.exe". When rendering in standalone this device sets which devices will be used.

Best regards,
    Alexander
    Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

All devices are selected and I see that 1 of the GPUs is used for each frame's denoiser.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi sfolts,

Windows Task manager not always represent the correct usage levels when it comes to GPU utilization. The best utility for testing this is using NVidia's tool NVSMI. It gets installed when you install the driver and is located in C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI. There you run the nvidia-smi.exe with a command argument -l. For easier use create a shortcut of the exe and add the "-l" at the end in the Target field:
        http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...7_10-30-14.png
        When you run it it will tell you the exact GPU utilization per card and it will refresh every 2 seconds or so.

Best regards,
        Alexander
        Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Working...
        X