Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightbaking feels incredibly slow.

Hi,

I'm posting more about my worries that something must be wrong with my settings or scene than just a negative jibe.

I'm reworking a scene we've got but with V-Ray for Unreal now. 4.22 with Raytracing.

It's good and flexible so far (being able to rebake single lightmaps is great) however it feels REALLY SLOW.

For instance I'm currently rebaking the ceiling at 512x512 with both my CPU (AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32 Cores) and GPU (RTX2080)

Vray settings are 1 = Draft and the Bake settings are 0 = Preview, the Bake fails because it's unable to allocate enough CUDA Memory, this makes some sense, the scene is a bit heavy on the poly count.

However, turning off the GPU will let me bake lightmaps with the CPU only, it's still very slow however, inside of 3Ds Max I can bake 2K textures in no time, I assume there's more to an Unreal Lightmap than "just" a raw lighting pass, but why's it so slow? are there settings or things I should be looking at?

Many thanks and sorry if I've not included anything I should her, please feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Hi, CGough88

Sorry for the late reply. Can you please provide the content of the PROJECT_NAME/Saved/Logs folder, some screenshots of the scene, screenshots of the V-Ray Settings and V-Ray Bake Settings?. Also if it's possible send us a vrscene of the bake. To generate the vrscene enable the Export VRScene checkbox in the Bake Settings. You can either attach it here in the forum or send them at support@chaosgroup.com .

P.S. Are you baking with Light Cache or with Brute Force? Can you please try it with both and see if there is any difference in speed.

Best regards,
    Alexander
    Last edited by Alexander.Atanasov; 03-10-2019, 06:28 AM.
    Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

Working...
    X