Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Vray from Unreal Breaks all maps that Where made while Vray was Enabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Vray from Unreal Breaks all maps that Where made while Vray was Enabled

Hi, I was trying to use vray to bake some Lightmaps in unreal on our project. I installed the plug-in and used it on one map. It was much slower then I expected and we have moved on to another solution. That day we edited a many other maps.
    We tried to make some games from a few maps with NO vray materials or anything and we are unable to because we are blocked by missing vray plugin error (this computer we did it on does not have vray license). If we disable Vray Plugin we loose all of the maps we made. This is a massive problem as we have
    made many changes. How do we get the vray claws out of our files?

At this point we just need Vray out of our unreal project without loosing all our maps that were made while vray was enabled. Any Ideas would be EXTREMLY Helpful.

steps to reproduce

you can do these steps with or without a license.
    1. Create a new project.
    2. put vray plugin in project
    3. enable plugin,
    4. create some levels
    5. Throw some objects and lights in there and save levels. (dont use any vray materials)
    6. disable Plugin and close
    7. upon reopen your Levels will be Missing. re-Enable plugin and restart and levels are back

8 Try to delete plugin and reopen, levels are still missing (they are there just not viewable in Unreal editor, you can see them in explorer)
    9 bang head on desk.

Thanks
    Jon

Hi Jon,

We have not seem to reproduce the issue on our end and we will investigate the project that you sent to the support team. I or the support team will let you know when w have some more insight.

Best regards,
    Alexander
    Alexander Atanasov

V-Ray for Unreal & Chaos Vantage QA

Chaos

Comment

This is still a massive issue and has broken a project we worked on for 6 months. Is there any movement on this?

Comment

Hi Jon,

Here you can download a blueprint level utility(https://drive.google.com/uc?id=17D5x...v7h2eQJMyJZ-aJ) which will scan all levels in the project and delete all V-Ray actors in the level. In order for this to work you need to do the following:
        1. Enable V-Ray for Unreal and Editor Scripting Utilities in the Plugins browser and restart the editor.
        2. Paste the VRayCleanLevels.uasset inside the Content folder in your project.
        3. In Content Browser right-click VRayCleanLevels>Run Editor Utility Blueprint at the top of the context menu and wait for it to finish. This opens all levels in the project, searches for V-Ray related actors, DELETES them and finally Saves the level. It will not clear V-Ray related materials form the editor or in the Content browser.
        4. Disable V-Ray for Unreal and restart. Now the levels should be visible and usable from the Content Browser.
        We might expand the blueprint widget and make it so it replaces V-Ray actors and assets with Unreal ones but that will require a lot more time for us to develop and test.
        I would advise to test it on a copy or a simpler project to prove that it works for you before running it on the real project, just in case something goes as not expected. Please tell me if it works on your end.

Best regards,
        Alexander
        Last edited by Alexander.Atanasov; 29-07-2022, 03:25 AM.
        Alexander Atanasov

Chaos

Comment

Alexander. Thank you, Thank you,Thank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank youThank you!!!!

After many days of using this script it worked out project is Vray free. I really appreciate it. At this point I have a few files that are still and issue and when I run the script it opens every level one by one. This is an issue because for every level it open I have to allow it to open for edit on perforce. I just need to run the script on a few folders but the script grabs every asset in the game and orders list in a way that it didn't get to some of the levels till the very end. What I really would like is this (bluprint) to be able to run ion a folder and all of the subfolders. I tried modifying the blueprint in the " search Must contain" with the path of my folder but nothing worked. We had tons of levels from marketplace purchases that had demo levels and all kind sof stuff that crashed upon open or ran out of memory. Once it crashed then I would restart and I had to start the whole process over again. I wish I knew enough to change it to only look at a folder but that would be great to find out. Thanks for the fix Every one at work is very thankful.

cheers
          Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

Glad to hear it worked for you!. You can try with this modification of the blueprint:https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1Y1Q4...49tezN5k-_VWSY
            • create an Append string node
            • in the first input write /Game/ as this is the main Project folder
            • in the second input write the folder in which you wish to scan and clean (in my case this is StarterContent/). Please note that it has to end with a forward slash " / " . If all is successful you can check in the output log what has been scanned and deleted in each level: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1Tguw...9PqxZPatPFax-q
            Please tell me if this works on your end?

Best regards,
            Alexander
            Alexander Atanasov

Chaos

Comment

Working...
            X