denoiser, glass, vray gpu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• denoiser, glass, vray gpu

HI, im considering upgrading to vray next, but i have one issue which id like to know the status of.

i did an animation with gpu recently, and i was unable to use the denoiser, since it was mucking up everything that was visible through the massive window i was looking through. this meant my rendertimes were enormous and i spent a fortune at a gpu renderfarm.

i was told this was due to gpu not supporting the "affect channels" setting in refractive objects, meaning i got no render elements for anything behind glass.

has this been addressed for gpu NEXT?

thanks!

nobody? Chaos? simple question i think?

Comment

There are no changes in V-Ray Next regarding the "Affect all channels" option for glass unfortunately.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

ahh thats a shame.. is it somewhere on the to-do list? because being unable to use denoiser and gpu when there is glass in the scene is rather limiting.

Comment

By this thread I discovered the possibility to get mat ID colors through glass. That's great!! It wasn't working at the old Vray for Rhino, where I missed it a lot. At VfR next it works very nice. My hope was to use the fast GPU mode for my watch design renderings and so I hope, the "affect all channel" option will work in GPU mode too in the future.
          www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

I’m curious what ill effects you were getting using the GPU + denoiser + glass?

I recently ran through a scene with Vray Next trial and GPU. I found the denoiser made the glass of this particular arch viz project look ‘frosted’ in an undesirable way. It was the first time I’ve had a client comment on image quality, actually, which was unfortunate. He was displeased with noise inside the building even after a significant number of passes. He commented my previous projects I’d done for him were much more ‘pleasing’ when it came to ‘grain’ and also glass representation. I hadn’t loved the denoiser results due to its effect on glass so I initially sent him the nondenoised/high pass version. After he balked at the grain, I sent a lightly denoised version (blended in photoshop with non-denoised to fine tune it) and I got the impression he disliked the denoised version due to the blurred/frosting of the glass. Combine that with the white squares you get with fireflies (if doing progressive and fewer passes mostly) and it leaves you in an awkward spot on some scenes.

Were you seeing similar results? I’d be curious to know if it’s just me being hamfisted or if these are expected pitfalls.

Comment

For me the noise is a problem too. First, it's not homogeneous and it so it doesn't look like an acceptable film grain. Here an undenoised example - noise at the metal and the glas, other areas are more clean. If I use the denoiser, than metal noise is gone, but the glass noise is kept. This is my second noise problem.

I setup a special fake glass material without refraction, so expected it will be denoised, but the denoiser seems to ignore transparency areas too.

So, I'm not so happy with Vray Next yet. The render times could be much better, if the inhomogeneous noise and the missing denoising of glass could be solved.

Comment

I tend to feel the same. Speed seemed fast but performance with glass was odd and interaction with denoiser was disappointing. What does speed matter (as measured in passes) if you don’t get the result you want and can’t denoise? I would love to hear that I’m just missing something and this performance is not expected.

Comment

danio After I installed the last hotfix for VfR also glass looks denoised.

Comment

Working...
                  X