Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I tell how much memory is in use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I tell how much memory is in use?

Hi all!
    How can I tell how much memory is in use when I'm rendering on the GPU?

Which host application are you using? Some integrations like V-Ray for Max have option to show this statistic in the VFB. If there is no such in your host app, try checking the V-Ray log, should be printed there.

Best,
    Blago.
    V-Ray fan.
    Looking busy around GPUs ...
    RTX ON

Comment

lastly, you can always rely on stuff like GPU-Z to tell you exactly how much total VRam is in use (including that needed for the screen(s) and browser windows, and so on).
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I'm using 3D Max.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
          lastly, you can always rely on stuff like GPU-Z to tell you exactly how much total VRam is in use (including that needed for the screen(s) and browser windows, and so on).
          Thats not quite accurate. V-Ray GPU will often reserve a lot of the GPU memory. GPU-Z will show this memory as "used", where in the V-Ray GPU log you will see it as "reserved" - this is basically memory which is still available for loading assets, but is being allocated from V-Ray GPU (for potential future use).

Otherwise, there is "Show statistics" option in V-Ray GPU Settings, just click that and this data will be shown in the VFB.

Best,
          Blago.
          V-Ray fan.
          Looking busy around GPUs ...
          RTX ON

Comment

Blago is very right, of course, but i assumed the left-over VRAM wasn't for rendering, but for something else (f.e.: any accelerated comp tool, or photoshop, and so on.), and in case it was important to know one wouldn't crash for OOR.
            If it's to inspect what the render is doing, there is no better way than what Blago mentioned.
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Where is the new memory tracking function of update 2 in GPU mode? I can't find it...
              Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
              www.AddYourLight.com
              Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Working...
              X