Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MultiSubTex

Hi

Quite often I have trees which are editable polys or proxies with a Multi/Sub-Object material and 3 or 4 vray materials for the trunk, branches and leaves etc..

Can a MultiSubTex be used to add variation to the leaves?

Thanks

N
    Last edited by NorthVisualStudio; 28-07-2019, 01:49 PM.

Hello!

The random modes of VRayMultiSubTex will not be of use in this case. But here it is an idea that pops to my mind:
    There is a MaterialByElement modifier in 3ds max that can assign random polygon material IDs to each element of an editable poly. You can add it to the leaves (either by selecting just these elements of the editable poly or by separating them in another object) and then use the Face material ID mode of VRayMultiSubTex.
    However this approach will cause slow down with VRayProxy because adding a modifier on top of the proxy will make it work as if the geometry itself is imported in the scene. This is not recommended especially with heavy assets.

Best regards,
    Margarita
    Margarita Stoeva | chaos.com
    Chaos QA (V-Ray for 3ds Max)

Comment

If you have forestpack you can use forestcolour to vary the gamma/hue/sat of the leaves by element. Its really handy. The tree must be a forest pack object though.

Comment

I think forest color is not supported for gpu...
        Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
        www.AddYourLight.com
        Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post
          I think forest color is not supported for gpu...
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmNhHLsDXHw
          V-Ray fan.
          Looking busy around GPUs ...
          RTX ON

Comment

It's a dirty technique, but if the trees are not seen too close you can use a noise map in the leaf diffuse set to world space and add your slight leaf variations in there. helps give a more general hue shift when dealing with a few trees next to each other.

Comment

Working...
            X