Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick CPU vs GPU speed comparison (Archviz interior scene)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick CPU vs GPU speed comparison (Archviz interior scene)

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	1.50 MB ID:	1087304
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	1087305

Hey all, this morning I've found 5 minutes to run a quick test on one of our more complex archviz scenes and compare CPU and GPU performance.
    The scene takes 20GB of RAM.

I run a progressive render with following settings.

msr: 24
    max subdivs: 70
    noise treshold set to 0.009 (probably too low but I don't it matters in this case)
    max render time of 4 minutes.
    Ray bundle size: 128 on CPU and 192 / 16 on GPU - I left those at default.

V-RAY CPU: 2 x i9 7900X
    V-RAY GPU RTX: 2 x 2060 SUPER + 3970X (I am not sure if it was utilized in RTX mode)

I started renders simultaneously and as expected CPU started frame faster, although only maybe 20 seconds faster then GPU. Light cache calculation was about 20% faster on CPU but this I think it is related to i9 7900X handling it better than 3970X (please correct me if I am wrong).
    As you can see from the images the GPU is significantly cleaner.

On LITTLE thing...on the second frame of animation GPU stopped with an Optix error...

I also uploaded the second frame to give you an idea of what kind of Archviz environment it is.
    Last edited by Karol.Osinski; 12-10-2020, 12:09 AM.
    My Artstation
    Whether it is an advantageous position or a disadvantageous one, the opposite state should be always present to your mind. -
    Sun Tsu

P.S CPU did around 100 passes while GPU 1000+... is this expected ??
    My Artstation
    Whether it is an advantageous position or a disadvantageous one, the opposite state should be always present to your mind. -
    Sun Tsu

Comment

Hi Karol.Osinski

The error you've received could be caused by a lot of things. Would it be possible to update your GPU drivers, run another test and see if you still get it? If so, please do forward the scene to support@chaosgroup.com for further investigation, thanks!
      Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

I would disable the CPU for GPU rendering, since it could cause a slowdown, since some CPU spend to much time for emulating GPU rendering and forget to feed the GPU. Or you test it before and if the CPU helps, you could keep them.
        www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

I don't think I had a GPU job that didn't fail with one of those errors. It might take a while, but it'll happen eventually.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

weird settings
            this is not a great comparison - do you have render and load times ?
            how much vram used? what GPU settings?

Comment

Hey squintnic, thanks for your comment. I am sorry, I kinda ruched this test and I am aware it is not really comprehensive comparison..What do you mean by weird settings?
              High MSR (I always use it higher numbers instead of 6 for progressive renders).
              I almost always find 100 of max subdvis an overkill for most of the scenes.
              Low treshold of 0.009 I think in this case it does not change anything as with such low max render time (4 minutes) the sampler wasn't be able to reach that treshhold anywhere in the image in order to stop there.
              Ray bundle size I left at defaults.

The load times I provided in percentage but if I remember well the scene load on CPU was 1 min. while on GPU 1:25 sec. - very similar results with LC calculations (in both cases at 2500).
              My Artstation
              Sun Tsu

Comment

p.s I gotta check the VRam usage and how 20gb of RAM usage with CPU translates to it.
                My Artstation
                Sun Tsu

Comment

maybe i missed the render time for each?

Comment

There is much more noise in the CPU render.
                    https://linktr.ee/cg_oglu
                    Ryzen 5950, Geforce 3060, 128GB ram

Comment

For the last two questions - so far I understood, the render time is fixed to 4min and we see the quality difference.
                      www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Originally posted by oglu View Post
                        There is much more noise in the CPU render.
                        It showed me that 2x i9 7900x did around 100+ passes while 2x 2060 SUPER did 1000+... it looks a bit unrealistic to me and I wonder if the CPU / GPU passes are really equalivent to each other.

My Artstation
                        Sun Tsu

Comment

Originally posted by nikoleta.garkova View Post
                          Hi Karol.Osinski

The error you've received could be caused by a lot of things. Would it be possible to update your GPU drivers, run another test and see if you still get it? If so, please do forward the scene to support@chaosgroup.com for further investigation, thanks!
                          HI nikoleta.garkova , thank you. I am happy to say that running GPU in bucket mode did not give me any error and even managed to render all 8 frames of animation (Archviz stills).

I am looking forward to post some better testings results using bucket mode for much better comparison...as soon I find some spare time.
                          My Artstation
                          Sun Tsu

Comment

Working...
                          X