Are we out of touch that much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we out of touch that much?

You know guys there is a thing here for year which I don't understand...

Why do I feel that vray gpu is still a second class target for chaos group?

Cpu supports all the features.. I've been using gpus for render for years now, ever since 970 gtx cards.. and still.. I keep bumping into walls in almost all of my scenes with unsupported features and stuff that only work in cpu.

Why do you keep supporting Cpu rendering? My gpus 20x times faster then any cpu I've ever had, you can scale them, you can put several gpu cards into a pc... and still supporting a damn cpus??

Seriously whos using cpu still for rendering? A frame that takes 2 minutes on my gpus, would takes 20 minutes in a cpu? Its not even scalable.. long time ago I purchased a server motherboard with two expensive xeon processor just to render with cpu, and when the gtx1070 came out it beat both of them single handedly... now its garbage..

There are super fast gpu cards now, there is rtx, seriously I bought a 3070 the other day and it was size like a small baby.. and it's crazy fast.

When Im rendering stuff, or I try to use phoenix fd with gpus.. and still keep bumping into wall and loads of unsupported features when it comes to gpu...

Are you serious? You cant let go of the past, and reluctant to use any new technology? and you are not even my grandparents..

When do you guys plan to make gpu rendering the priority? Octane render, redshift, unreal.. do I need to continue?

Please somebody tell me why we stuck in the past?

CPU: 5930K
    GPU: 3x970 GTX,
    MEM: 32 GB ram
    SSD

Because some of us need ungodly amounts of RAM for our renders and gpus still can't compete in that area. Unless I'm mistaken ofc.
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

I keep bumping into walls in almost all of my scenes with unsupported features and stuff that only work in cpu.
      It would help if you can point out which those features are?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I reckon possibly the most crucial is the alpha channel thing with occlusion
        https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
          Because some of us need ungodly amounts of RAM for our renders and gpus still can't compete in that area. Unless I'm mistaken ofc.
          That is a valid point okay. However.. if I know correctly there is something that is called nvlink, and it can add up all the memory in your gpus?

Is that supported?
          SSD

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            It would help if you can point out which those features are?

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I will add up in the following week.. I am sorry I have a big project now and I keep getting frustrated..
            SSD

Comment

Originally posted by Dini009 View Post

That is a valid point okay. However.. if I know correctly there is something that is called nvlink, and it can add up all the memory in your gpus?

Is that supported?
              Only up to a point. AFAIK you can achieve something like 48gb with the newest top tier cards which is getting close, but anything under 64gb is a scary proposition for me. That's the #1 reason I haven't switched yet. Unsupported features are reason #2...

Comment

Only up to a point. AFAIK you can achieve something like 48gb with the newest top tier cards which is getting close, but anything under 64gb is a scary proposition for me. That's the #1 reason I haven't switched yet. Unsupported features are reason #2...
                Isnt that a way around it? Like vray proxy or something? 64 gigs that large.. I usually get by with 8 gigs.
                SSD

Comment

Yea i agree with dini 009, vray gpu doesnt get the same attention that vray, for example, translucency doesnt work on vray gpu, catmull roll antialiasing doesnt work with vray gpu, with 2 sided material mult. By front diffuse doesnt work, cáustics dont work, some render elements don't work, we miss a Lot of features that work with vray cpu, i use vray gpu 5 for sketchup, and i think a Lot of users not just me we would like to see more options available... Vray gpu it's very fast and i like a Lot but we miss a Lot of things, for example Micha a vray rhino user always ask when we Will have this features and for sketchup and rhino it's almost the same, lots of features dont work, thanks in advance but i have to tell You the truth for a better experience with vray gpu

Comment

Isnt that a way around it? Like vray proxy or something? 64 gigs that large.. I usually get by with 8 gigs.
                    Sometimes I'm doing a very very detail rich interior that needs 3d displacement and it takes gigs of ram which is perhaps overdoing it, and sometimes I need to do a cityscape with cars/trees/people/heavy buildings etc etc. Optimizing a terrible client model is just too slow. It's better use of my time to just brute force an overnight render than sit here and optimize. Yes it's possible, but it's a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" sort of situation.

Comment

Sometimes I'm doing a very very detail rich interior that needs 3d displacement and it takes gigs of ram which is perhaps overdoing it, and sometimes I need to do a cityscape with cars/trees/people/heavy buildings etc etc. Optimizing a terrible client model is just too slow. It's better use of my time to just brute force an overnight render than sit here and optimize. Yes it's possible, but it's a "robbing Peter to pay Paul" sort of situation.
                      I see what you mean.. in that case its understandable.. however cannot be a reason to delay progress, nice website by the way!
                      SSD

Comment

Originally posted by luisgamino2 View Post
                        Yea i agree with dini 009, vray gpu doesnt get the same attention that vray, for example, translucency doesnt work on vray gpu, catmull roll antialiasing doesnt work with vray gpu, with 2 sided material mult. By front diffuse doesnt work, cáustics dont work, some render elements don't work, we miss a Lot of features that work with vray cpu, i use vray gpu 5 for sketchup, and i think a Lot of users not just me we would like to see more options available... Vray gpu it's very fast and i like a Lot but we miss a Lot of things, for example Micha a vray rhino user always ask when we Will have this features and for sketchup and rhino it's almost the same, lots of features dont work, thanks in advance but i have to tell You the truth for a better experience with vray gpu
                        lots of lots of things wont work.. I go to chaos groups website to get some help and I found 10 pages of cpu render help, and a 5 sentences of gpu render instructions.. I mean what the hekk? Check out unreal, check out octane and the others.. I love vray, phoenix fd is really cool as well, but Im getting tired of using my the gpu render feeling like its only a beta or something.. gpu should be the main thing
                        SSD

Comment

I see what you mean.. in that case its understandable.. however cannot be a reason to delay progress, nice website by the way!
                          Thank you mate!

Comment

It may or may not help to know that it's a lot easier to write and debug code for CPU; further on due to the fundamental differences between how CPUs and GPUs operate, some things simply cannot be done on the GPU at all (but of course, many many things can be done). So, assuming that it is not possible for us to fully and entirely port everything from V-Ray CPU to the GPU, our goal is to focus on the most widely used features that are enough for production work (yes, proper alpha is one of them obviously and it will be implemented). Therefore is helps to know which those features are, and client input is invaluable in that regard.

There is the argument that other engines like Arnold claim to have parity between the CPU and the GPU version, but as of this moment this is not the case and Arnold GPU still doesn't support everything after many years of development. AFAIK Renderman's XPU will also lave limitations compared to the original RIS renderer.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Good to know, about the alpha - thanks for confirming there is hope for a fix for that soon; it's over the last year or so the main reason I've been unable to use it.
                              The other things are as you say and I was reading about XPU only yesterday....if Pixar is still unable to make certain things work, with all the brains and money they can throw at it, then that does
                              speak volumes about the current state of things across all developers and we'll all have to be patient before the next leap occurs
                              https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Working...
                              X