VRay GPU 3DsMax - 2 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay GPU 3DsMax - 2 questions

It has been a while since I've used the GPU version. Now for a new project I am checking to see if I can use the GPU, but I run into 2 problems and hope they are a user error on my side

1) Does Vray GPU support the thickness texture in the EdgesTex map? I need a procedural noice map in the thickness map, but In my tests I am unable to get it working.
    2) I use OCIO color space and therefor the VrayBitmap map for all bitmaps. The problem I encounter is that it doesn't support the cropping feature. Is that correct or is it a bug?
    Last edited by menno_vandijk; 16-12-2021, 08:37 AM.

1. It isn't supported (it's actually greyed out). There is a simple workaround, however - using a VRayCompTex to multiply the VRayEdgesTex by the Noise map.
    2. I cannot reproduce this (tested with the latest official release V-Ray 5, update 2.2). The Crop feature seems to work as expected. Care to share a simple scene where the issue is evident? Also, which V-Ray version build do you have installed?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks Aleksandar for your reply.
      Q1: I'll give it a try (although I am sure I already tried this)
      Q2: I am using the latest nightlies build in combination with Max 2022.3

I'll come back to you with a simple scene if I can reproduce the issue's

Menno

Comment

Cropping seems to work now in a new scene. so I probably need to update or reconnect some nodes.
        The EdgeTex setup you suggested is the setup I already use in my normal Vray setup. But in GPU it is not working on my system. I have included the scene file.
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. Indeed, it seems the VRayCompTex setup works only with the edge color on GPU. What effect are you trying to achieve? Maybe there is another way of doing it?
          Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

No problem
            I am trying to have the edges a variable thickness effect by using a noise texture. Having this procedural I am able to increase or decrease the effect

Comment

Working...
            X