V-Ray GPU with Bake to Texture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray GPU with Bake to Texture

Hi, I'm using Vray GPU to render out Bake to Texture but, I cannot seem to find a Bake Element which has the full RGB render.
    Am I missing something or is this not possible with GPU?
    Thanks, N.

VRayCompleteMap?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Complete Map isn't listed as an option.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Bake_to_Texture_V-Ray_GPU.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1168891

Comment

Huh, that's odd. It is listed on my end. Does it appear on an empty scene? Which 3ds Max version do you have installed?

Comment

The baking is done with 2023.
          I created a new scene and it works, merged in the old model and it works perfectly - thanks man!

Name:	Bake_to_Texture_V-Ray_GPU_2.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1168895

Comment

It's disappeared again - new scene doesn't help. I also opened the max file that worked yesterday but, the complete map isn't available.
            Is there anything that might cause it to disappear?

Comment

Very odd. Not sure what's causing it. For starters, try resetting your 3ds max settings to their defaults and see if that makes any difference.

Comment

Ironically, if I add a V-Ray (CPU) Complete map but keep the render engine as GPU, it will render with the GPU - very odd but, it works so I can't complain.

/EDIT/ It doesn't actually work properly, although it looks correct in the frame buffer, it saves overexposed.
                I changed it to CPU render and it saves fine but, it takes alot longer to render.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bake_to_Texture_V-Ray_GPU_3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	1168987
                Last edited by NorthVisualStudio; 30-12-2022, 06:08 AM.

Comment

On a separate note, the saved renders are overexposed. I've tried Auto Exposure and many other things but, they all save overexposed.
                  If I save it from the frame buffer, it's fine however, this doesn't work for multiple textures.

Comment

I'm looking at this again simply because the GPU renders 5x faster than the CPU when Baking To Texture. The issue is that the render is good in the VFB but, it saves as an overexposed PNG. Are there any reasons for this? I've tried adjusting the settings when Baking it but, the result is always the same.

Name:	BakeToTexture_Settings.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1170867

Name:	00189_Cameron_018_mesh_VRayCompleteMap.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	1170868

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. Could you send the scene via the contact form so we can take a look?

Comment

I've sent all the info and assets to the contact form. The two issues are;
                        1. V-Ray CompleteMap is not always available for GPU
                        2. When the complete map is available for GPU, the rendered Bake To Texture looks good in the VFB but, it saves overexposed.

Comment

Thanks for the provided scene. I am still not sure what's causing the first issue so I'll continue investigating. However, I've debugged the scene and found the culprit of the second. It seems that when a camera with exposure control is set in the active view, the Exposure Control is applied only to the VFB (i.e. if the perspective view is active both VFB and the output should be identical). I've logged the issue (internal bug-tracker id: VMAX-12965) for developer investigation. To workaround it, you should use the exposure control from the Environment Settings instead.

Comment

Thanks for looking at the model. I'll try the exposure work-around when the complete map appears for GPU. I updated the Nvidia drivers yesterday which may be a factor but the complete map didn't work consistently with the latest approved driver.
                            One thing is that the exposure issue didn't happen when rendering with CPU.

Comment

I managed to reproduce the disappearing VRayCompleteMap issue. It seems to happen if you render it at least once prior to saving the file. Upon reopening, the element will disappear from the rollout.
                              I've logged the issue (internal bug-tracker id: VMAX-12976) for developer investigation.

Comment

Working...
                              X