Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray gpu 6 compressed textures mode (vram and speed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray gpu 6 compressed textures mode (vram and speed)

Hi Muhhamed

I would like to ask you about the new mode

How big is the speed with this new approach and what kind of diference we should see about the vram.

For example if my proyect use 18 gb of vram for textures how big is the save of vram with the new approach compressed textures?

Works for every texture?

Just for 4k textures or even 8k textures?

I believe there should be a video about that
    So we see the compressed textures mode in action

How do i know how does it works?

Right now this is only for vray for 3d max, but i really hope to see this feature for vray for sketchup

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by luisgamino2; 14-03-2023, 04:51 PM.

Originally posted by luisgamino2 View Post
    For example if my proyect use 18 gb of vram for textures how big is the save of vram with the new approach compressed textures?
    You can test it yourself. Render a plane with a high-res texture with Full Size and Compressed texture modes and look at the Memory Tracking tab in the VFB2 Stats.

Works for every texture?
    Yes. Tested it with a 1 MB texture and it is compressed too.

Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I dont use vray for 3d max neither 3d max, just vray for sketchup.

So i dont have right now this tool available for vray 6 gpu

First vray for 3d max
      Second vray for maya
      third vray for sketchup

So probably is coming first for maya and is not even ready for vray for maya

That is why i would like to see this new function in action hermit.crab

I dont have this tool yet for vray for sketchup

Also i use a lot vray fur so if i can turn on 7 tapestries with vray fur that is going to be great.

A lot of times i can only turn on 2 or 3 tapestries because textures always takes a lot of vram

I hope i made clear

Thanks

Comment

The last question is there any speed with compressed textures mode hermit.crab or is just the vram???

For interiors vray gpu sometimes is very slow, even without fog and depth of field

Imagine using both vray gpu can take a lot of hours to complete a render

Comment

I dont have this tool yet for vray for sketchup
          It will be eventually.

Also i use a lot vray fur so if i can turn on 7 tapestries with vray fur that is going to be great.

A lot of times i can only turn on 2 or 3 tapestries because textures always takes a lot of vram
          This is highly dependent on the workstation/farm's capabilities and the demands of the rendered scene. The feature will surely help, though.

The last question is there any speed with compressed textures mode hermit.crab or is just the vram???
          I presume it will have an increase in loading speed, even though the compression will take some time too.
          Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
          X