Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightly Question

Hi!

I dowloaded one of the nightly builts a couple of days ago and I noticed it says "On Demand Mip-mapped Layers" under GPU Textures. What does this actually mean? Does it apply to CUDA or just OpenGL?

Thank you!
    Alex

It is something we are working on. It applies to CUDA - textures used in the scene will be loaded only if they are needed, and RT will try to load the corresponding mip-map levels (not the full-res version like as it does by default). This should allow loading bigger scenes in the GPU memory. It is still being developed and there might be issues, but should more or less work.

Best,
    Blago.

edit: currently it works when RT is as production only. It reports the loaded mip-map level and memory consumption in the console.
    V-Ray fan.
    Looking busy around GPUs ...
    RTX ON

Comment

Wow, that's quite cool. Does that mean that it uses full resolution as needed? Just asking because I do notice a difference between Full Resolution and Applying only a certain amount of texture size, like 512.

Comment

Originally posted by padre.ayuso
        Does that mean that it uses full resolution as needed
        That is the idea, yes. This is still being developed and needs more internal testing, so be warned. But any feedback will be helpful.

Best,
        Blago.
        V-Ray fan.
        RTX ON

Comment

Originally posted by savage309 View Post
          That is the idea, yes. This is still being developed and needs more internal testing, so be warned. But any feedback will be helpful.

Best,
          Blago.
          Oh, well that's just sweet!!! I'll be testing that out and will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by padre.ayuso View Post
            Oh, well that's just sweet!!! I'll be testing that out and will let you know.
            And as promised, here is my first actual test with your mip-mapped textures on and off. You can see, we still have some ways to go.

Left is "Full Size Textures" and right is "Mip-mapped textures". Nightly build from about a week ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	863072

And a top and bottom as well. I think the images speak for themselves. It seems that the maps are still getting overtly blurred.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	863073

Best
            alex
            Last edited by padre.ayuso; 13-08-2016, 11:05 AM.

Comment

It shouldn't look like that. Can you send me (part) of the scene at blagovest.taskov@chaosgroup.com ?

Thanks a lot for your time,
              Best,
              Blago.
              V-Ray fan.
              RTX ON

Comment

I sent you the link for the whole scene, you should have gotten the link via email.

Comment

We found the issue and fix will come soon (sometime next week). Thanks for reporting that !

Best,
                  Blago.
                  V-Ray fan.
                  RTX ON

Comment

Blago, when do you think we can expect this for active shade? Imminent or far off?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicinus View Post
                      Blago, when do you think we can expect this for active shade? Imminent or far off?
                      We have it working here, but I am not sure if we want to add it yet because of some details.
                      It first starts without anything loaded and loads carefully what it needs runtime. Once it have everything it needs it continues to render just like it used to. While there is loading, the rendering/feedback is a bit slower than usual. We should test more to see how well it works for Active Shade, but first I want to make sure it works in production.
                      Btw, bug Alex reported is already fixed in the dev nightlies btw. Again, thanks a lot for the report !

Best,
                      Blago.
                      V-Ray fan.
                      RTX ON

Comment

Originally posted by savage309 View Post
                        We have it working here, but I am not sure if we want to add it yet because of some details.
                        It first starts without anything loaded and loads carefully what it needs runtime. Once it have everything it needs it continues to render just like it used to. While there is loading, the rendering/feedback is a bit slower than usual. We should test more to see how well it works for Active Shade, but first I want to make sure it works in production.
                        Btw, bug Alex reported is already fixed in the dev nightlies btw. Again, thanks a lot for the report !

Best,
                        Blago.
                        You bet!

Comment

Working...
                        X