Memory Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Issues

Hello I am rendering with 2x 980ti 6GB Vram while testing Vray Next update 2 on 3dsmax 2020. I'm rendering an exterior scene and it seems it keeps running out of memory and will not render after the Lightcache calculates. This scene renders just fine on Redshift, actually I can render a scene many times larger than this on Redshift. Is there some sort of settings I am missing to help Vram. or things I can do like proxies or something? This isn't that large of a scene.

Any Suggestions?

Comment

Check the log and see what is eating the memory. Use vray HDRI to get a proper log because 3ds Max Bitmaps are not in there.
      use mid mapping and proxies.
      I havd a case where just two textures broke the scene because of vram limits, so you could try reducing larger size bitmaps to a smaller, more compressed ones.
      For proper help it would be best to see the logs and know something about your geometry though.
      If you are using Nvidia denoiser, be alert that it eats a lot of memory. Could be 500mb, could be 1gb and more.
      Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
      www.AddYourLight.com
      Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post
        Check the log and see what is eating the memory. Use vray HDRI to get a proper log because 3ds Max Bitmaps are not in there.
        use mid mapping and proxies.
        I havd a case where just two textures broke the scene because of vram limits, so you could try reducing larger size bitmaps to a smaller, more compressed ones.
        For proper help it would be best to see the logs and know something about your geometry though.
        If you are using Nvidia denoiser, be alert that it eats a lot of memory. Could be 500mb, could be 1gb and more.
        Okay great, I'll look that over and see what I come up with, It's been a while and I cannot remember if I used Nvidia denoiser or not.

Comment

you will need better GPUs with vray next. Try a couple of 2080s or 2080Tis with NVLink
          redhsift just seems to handle big scenes with ease

Comment

I would like to know what exactly redshift is doing differently though.. seems strange and intriguing that it is more memory efficient
            Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
            www.AddYourLight.com
            Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Originally posted by MANUEL_MOUSIOL View Post
              I would like to know what exactly redshift is doing differently though.. seems strange and intriguing that it is more memory efficient
              It is way more memory efficient. I render very large scene through Redshift and have no issue with memory, and that is on 980ti's. Vray not so much unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
              X