Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flickering and strange reflection artefacts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flickering and strange reflection artefacts.

Hi,
    I've got two new problems with my kitchen scene that look like bugs to me.
    This is rendered using the RTX mode and our farm is mixed GTX 980, several 1080s and some 2080 ti's
    Look at this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zg...oz1nj7nBmtFntt

I rendered this using the animation preset for the LC
    Adaptive dome is off.

This version of the scene is on its way to the support.
    I answered the last one, so the ticket ID is still.: 195-744-3476
    Last edited by Ihno; 09-01-2020, 04:43 PM.
    German guy, sorry for my English.

The reflection cutoff must be related to adaptive lights. Light tree seems to work. But It changes the reflection quite a bit.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	AdaptiveLights.jpg Views:	1 Size:	589.3 KB ID:	1055820Click image for larger version  Name:	LightTree.jpg Views:	1 Size:	579.8 KB ID:	1055821
    I get the same result using Light tree as with Full lights evaluation. So I think this is what it should look like.
    I'll render a few frames to see if it also fixes the flickering.
    Last edited by Ihno; 10-12-2019, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the provided scene and examples. The issue indeed seems to be related to the adaptive lights so for the time being you could use Light tree or Full lights evaluation. As for the adaptive lights mode, our developers have developed a fix for a similar setup which will be available tomorrow in our nightly stable builds.

Best regards,
      Philip
      Philip Shounev
      QA department
      Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

Hi, I can confirm that the hotfix fixed the issues with adaptive dome and adaptive lights. Thanks for that!

I have massive problems with some nodes not loading or only partially loading textures, since I updated to 3.1 and rendering using RTX mode.
        This is also the case with the hotfix.
        Everything looks alright during the LC phase.. So I guess it must be GPU related.
        As far as I can tell all those computers have GTX cards (980+). And all have the recommended 441.28 diver. Check for missing assets is checked.
        Most textures are tx files.
        Is this known? Is there anything I can do about that?
        https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i1...bLPbF51DFmoYFc

Btw. The LC of this scene takes ages! 30mins on some computers!
        Can you tell me why?

EDIT: I posted the wrong link, it's the right one now.

EDIT2: I switched to bucket mode and for now it looks like it fixes the problem...

EDIT3: I also get some crashes from both: GTX and RTX machines. Click image for larger version  Name:	Error.png Views:	1 Size:	49.8 KB ID:	1057547

This scene is driving me nuts...
        Last edited by Ihno; 07-01-2020, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Nope the bucket mode didn't fix the problem and I get the same from RTX machines, its just less likely.
          But I realized the vram is maxed out.
          Could it be that vray somehow forgets to cancel the render even though there isn't enough vram?

EDIT:
          I went back to CUDA, there everything runs as expected. And its pretty fast due to the optimizations I did for the scene in order to get it to render in RTX mode.
          To me it seems the scene took much! More vram in RTX mode than in CUDA mode. It has to be at least nearly twice as much since in cuda mode it only takes around 5830mb of the 11000mb my workstation has and it was maxed out in RTX mode.
          Last edited by Ihno; 09-01-2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the additional feedback. We are investigating the issue and for the time being we can't reproduce it locally. Could you provide some additional information - is it reproducible when rendering with backburner only or when using distributed rendering? Also would it be possible to provide some render logs?
            Philip Shounev
            QA department
            Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

No distributed rendering. I'm using backburner but I've also seen it when rendering locally on my workstation (but less likely because it has more vram than most of the other nodes).
              I'll send you the current (before switching back to CUDA) version of the scene.
              Can you tell me were to find the logs?
              Last edited by Ihno; 14-01-2020, 03:03 AM.

Comment

They can be found in the temp folder (please open windows explorer and type in %temp% in the address bar, then press enter). This is the location where the crash dump files (if any) are located along with the render logs as well.
                Philip Shounev
                QA department
                Chaos

philip.shounev@chaos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ihno View Post

Btw. The LC of this scene takes ages! 30mins on some computers!
                  Can you tell me why?
                  I took a look at your scene. The cause of the LC slowdown is the extreme amount of reflection/refraction max depth of some of your glass materials (#25, #235 namely) and also in the render settings (Perf.>Utilization>Trace depth). Lower the amount to reduce the rendering time.
                  Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                  Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Ah ok, Thanks!
                    I was playing around with that because I had problems with a bug in the last vray version that made the glasses dark.
                    Must have forgotten to change it back.
                    Any Progress on the textures-not-loading problem? I had this with other scenes too. It happens in both (CUDA and RTX mode) when the vram is too small.
                    Last edited by Ihno; 17-01-2020, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Yes, we are still investigating. Could you try storing and linking all assets to a single shared location or alternatively to a temporary folder on each machine? If the issue is still reproducible, try excluding the GTX 980 card from rendering (since it has the lowest amount of memory and may serve as a bottleneck) and afterward report back.
                      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                      X