No announcement yet.

Canceling GPU renders using standalone makes V-Ray loose connection to the GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canceling GPU renders using standalone makes V-Ray loose connection to the GPUs

When rendering on GPU using standalone and I'm canceling the renderjob mid-render by closing the DOS-shell window makes my computer loose connection to the GPUs. So even if I want to render inside my software it gets stuck while initializing the GPUs at "setting CUDA stack size to 12000" and I can't even cancel the job there anymore but have to force-quit the software.
    When rendering using the standalone again it's also stuck at the same point ("Setting CUDA stack size to 12000"). Even other programs stuggle initializing the GPU afterwards. Problem can only be solved by restarting the whole machine again.
    Volker Troy

www.pixelwerk.at

+43 (0) 664 / 3 820 810
    Radetzkystrasse 102 a
    A-6845 Hohenems
    Austria

Killing the app forcefully mid-operation is a dangerous task. We have no control what happens on the driver if you do this and in your scenario it enters a broken state. The only way to recover from this is to reboot the driver (which happens when you reboot the whole machine).
    We have not been able to reproduce the problem locally, so it could be related to a specific driver version you are using ( would you please share the driver version you are running?), but in general I would suggest not killing a GPU render like that.
    Aborting the render would prevent the driver from entering such a broken state.
    Alexander Soklev | Team Lead | V-Ray GPU

Comment

Happend with different drivers in the past. Studio and Game ready drivers. It's more stable on a system with just one GPU, but here at work on a 4 GPU machine it's fragile.
      So in this case best way to cancel a render using standalone better pressing CTRL + C in the command shell to cancel the operation.
      Volker Troy

www.pixelwerk.at

+43 (0) 664 / 3 820 810
      Radetzkystrasse 102 a
      A-6845 Hohenems
      Austria

Comment

The best way to cancel standalone job is to press the STOP button in the VFB. Do you use the VFB or is it a distributed render session? If you can describe your usecase more thoroughly we might be able to provide a better solution, where we make sure the code that is related to proper deinitialization of the driver is always executed.
        Alexander Soklev | Team Lead | V-Ray GPU

Comment

Okay will try that...but in some cases I am rendering headless, so without a VFB visible and therefore without access to the STOP button there. Thanks for your reply
          Volker Troy

www.pixelwerk.at

+43 (0) 664 / 3 820 810
          Radetzkystrasse 102 a
          A-6845 Hohenems
          Austria

Comment

It's only a suggestion but if your running windows 10 have your tried restarting just the graphics driver using the shortcut Win+Ctrl+Shift+B it might save you time over a full restart.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthonyyg View Post
              It's only a suggestion but if your running windows 10 have your tried restarting just the graphics driver using the shortcut Win+Ctrl+Shift+B it might save you time over a full restart.
              Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it, but still needs a full restart of the system to get the GPUs back on track again
              Volker Troy

www.pixelwerk.at

+43 (0) 664 / 3 820 810
              Radetzkystrasse 102 a
              A-6845 Hohenems
              Austria

Comment

Working...
              X