Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 5 - GPU crashes 3ds MAX 2021 [PLEASE HELP]

Hi!

My 3dsmax 2021 crashes, when ever I use vray5-gpu and tried to render.

my observation is it happens only when I use OSL HDRI Environment map in the scene.

Please help to fix this issue

im running on

RTX 2080 Ti
    64gb ram
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor, 3200 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB

Speaking from experience, it's super helpful to post up a demo scene that shows the problem. I'd be delighted to go through and see if I can replicate the result you're seeing, and also to propose any work arounds that I might find. Be sure to send the scene to support@chaosgroup.com as well as posting it here.

Comment

I scene will be helpful, but in the meantime you should be able to use VRayBitmap to get the same results.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thank you vlado and HowardDay
        Appreciate your quick response...

I captured a simple video to demonstrate. Cant able to place the video here but I sent to support@chaosgroup.com

also uploaded the video in here...
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/yre6etces1...crash.mp4?dl=0

best regards
        susheer

Comment

I'm crashing as well trying to use the OSL Environment shader with GPU. Seems to run fine on CPU.

V-Ray 5, hf2 (5.00.06 build 30285)

Comment

same here. Just started exploring the new max 2021 and vray 5 features and feel like a crash test dummy.
            Olaf Bendfeldt
            3D-Artist
            dimension3+

Comment

This is an old problem, but I'm having the same issue with current version of 3ds Max (2021-2022) and V-Ray (5.1-5.2).
              This is simple scene with only one HDRI+OSL map loaded in a dome light:
              https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4g9ijvp90...L_GPU.zip?dl=1
              Rendering on CPU - no problems, rendering on GPU - after light cache is calculated 3ds max will crash and quit. I'm having the issue with any OSLMap or VRayOSLTex.
              Both CPU and GPU scenes are uploaded int the file above.
              Last edited by atanasbak; 16-02-2022, 10:32 AM.

Comment

atanasbak
                ​​​​​​​Just so you know, I've logged the issue (internal bug-tracker id: VGPU-5733). Maybe there's a non-OSL method to the desired effect?
                Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks Aleksandar!
                  For some custom shader it's a lot of work (multiple map nodes) for what a simple OSL map can do (if even possible).

Comment

It looks like there is a problem with the color values from VRayBitmap going to OSL map. If I use VRayCompTex (with only SourceA) in between the GPU render will not crash 3ds max.
                    This is the updated max scene: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t99j7eg40r...U_fix.zip?dl=1

Comment

Originally posted by atanasbak View Post
                      It looks like there is a problem with the color values from VRayBitmap going to OSL map. If I use VRayCompTex (with only SourceA) in between the GPU render will not crash 3ds max.
                      This is the updated max scene: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t99j7eg40r...U_fix.zip?dl=1
                      Interesting workaround. Thank you for the feedback. I'll log the additional information as well.
                      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                      X