No announcement yet.

Compiling Geometry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wanted to test very simple scene with a small room interior, only to launch the render I had to wait 5 minutes, I really want to use GPU but I can't get over the feeling that Chaos Group TOTALLY ignored their (presumably) biggest user group which are Archviz artists. For me it is still not production ready engine, and I say it with all the bitterness since I personally attended the big VRay NEXT reveal few years in Sofia. I was the one so hyped and now..? Whatever.
    My Artstation
    Whether it is an advantageous position or a disadvantageous one, the opposite state should be always present to your mind. -
    Sun Tsu

Comment

Guys, I really won't get tired to repeat this - without repro scenes we can only guess what's wrong and neither of us benefits from that. So please send us your slow-compiling scenes.
      If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
      Chaos

Comment

Yes, I sent that yesterday.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thank you so much for the scene. We found a problem and fixed it. Tomorrow's stable nightly will contain the fix. Please try it and let us know.
          Last edited by a7az0th; 04-10-2020, 10:51 PM.
          Alexander Soklev | Team Lead | V-Ray GPU

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
            Yes, I sent that yesterday.
            I did some testing and after the fix the start time for V-Ray GPU on your scene is 1m 44s. Before the bug fix it was 15m 30s.

We did have a serious performance bug, and we can probably improve the time to first pixel even more (although it won't be as easy as the bug fix).

However, the ForestPro objects in the scene (mainly ForestPro005) generated almost 2 million instances.
            If you make the base mesh for ForestPro005 have a smaller area or just use larger patches of grass,
            you can save both ForestPro and V-Ray quite a bit of work every time the rendering is started.

Now, V-Ray CPU starts in ~27s.
            One of the main reasons for this is the somewhat tighter integration between V-Ray CPU and ForestPro, made possible by the extensibility of the CPU code.
            As far as I know, for V-Ray CPU, ForestPro will generate the instances once rays starts hitting them, so all the faraway grass will never get generated.
            I could be wrong here however.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev
            Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Awesome news!

Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment