tyCache keeps missing in farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyCache keeps missing in farm

Hi, I would like to raise some issue regarding this. I also posted on tyflow forum, and Tyson advised me to contact chaos directly as you guys are doing the GPU implementation.

I need to do grass, so I set a standard scatter flow. When I output a flow to a tycache, I usually only output 1 frame for static objects. Then I use tycache feature to hold and clamp the frame output from 0 to 0 (or 1 to 1). I use this for grass that doesn't move.

Afterwards, I developed a hue randomization with vray multisub and random by renderID, so the grass doesn't look too uniform. I apply this to the grass mesh, and use tyFlow feature of getting the material from the mesh itself. So I did not apply this shader to tyFlow object, since it's already being referenced by the shape node.

I have made sure I am using the same tyFlow version on userPC and renderfarm. It is the slightly older version of 16127, but by reading the changelog of the version history, I don't think this issue is addressed yet.

The problems I encounter:
    1. On some farm nodes, the cache is not loaded at all. This seems to be random behaviour, sometimes it's render node 9, sometimes 20. But if it wasn't loaded at the start of the job, within the duration of the job, that node becomes useless because it will always be missing the cache.
    2. The shaders seems to be switching the randomness every now and then, so I can see flickering on the shader of the grass. It's caused by random by renderID. If I stick with Face Material ID and use Material ID operator set to random in tyFlow, I could work around this issue.

It's worthy of note that problem 1 doesn't exist in vray CPU, so I raised this in vray GPU section. Our IT have sneaking suspicion that it might be because the network drive is too slow and it doesn't load the cache. But it is not certain because on really light scenes with only 100-200mb 1 frame cache, this problem still exists.

I hope the problem is reproducible on your end. Let me know if you need more information.

I'm sorry to bump this thread, can someone from chaos verify this? Even rendering with normal tyflow without tycache, i encounter missing frames randomly on GPU. The gains I have from rendering faster, I basically give back because I have to re-render missing cache frames.

Comment

Which render manager are you using? Which V-Ray and host platform version are you using?

1. I've tested rendering a simple scene with tyFlow through Backburner and GPU and everything seems to work fine (3ds Max 2022, V-Ray 5 update 2.1). Does this happen in a specific scene? Can you send it?
      2. There should be a warning in the log about this - the results are different when exporting render ids.
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Vray 5 update 1.2. Using backburner. I'll send the scene over tomorrow. Did you try sending over tyflow directly or tycache with vray multisub?

Comment

I tried both and they work as expected. Are there any error messages on those particular slaves? Maybe they have trouble accessing the cache files. Does it happen with other render engines, f.e. Arnold?
          Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi, I am sorry i totally forgot about this issue. I basically brute force it with the remaining nodes. As far as I remember, there wasn't any error messages, and no we don't use arnold so i cannot verify on that.

Maybe if i encounter the same issue I will revisit this thread again. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X