Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GPU does not use all the memory of the graphics card.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GPU does not use all the memory of the graphics card.

Hi,

we got a new computer at the office with a RTXA4000 graphic card. However when I make a rendering with the GPU, vray only use 3GB instead of the 16GB avaible on this card.

Is there an option that would allow me to allocate a certain amount of memory to vray?

Hello,

I guess it use 3GB because it only needs 3GB to build the scene in the VRAM.

Putting more data in your VRAM won't render your image faster. That's two differents parameters.

To use a simple image, your VRAM is your car loading capacity, your asset in the scene (textures, geometry, hair etc) is the amount of stuff you have to fit in your car, your GPU "processor" is your motor, it's how fast you can drive with this car on the road. The lenght of the road is the complexity of computation of your image.
    In your case you only need to transport 3GB of stuff, it fit in your car capacity, now it the car "processor/motor" who will drive as fast as he can to reach your image goal.

There are several way / tools to visualise the amount of processor used for a computation.

I don't know I've answered correctly to your question,
    Best,
    Nicolas

Comment

Hi,

In addition to what Nicolas said
      V-Ray GPU will utilize the amount of VRam needed for the current operation. If the VRam you have is enough for it, it will render fine and you do not need to worry about anything.
      When you render a bigger scene file with more complicated meshes and shaders - more memory will be needed and your GPU will come in handy.
      Martin Minev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi,

Thnks for the reply. @ nicolas_fuminier the exemple with the car was really clear

Comment

Working...
        X