VRayColor2Bump stops working if plugged in a Mix or a VRayCompTex map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayColor2Bump stops working if plugged in a Mix or a VRayCompTex map

VRayColor2Bump doesn't seem to work if I plug it in a Mix or a VRayCompTex map - no matter what value I enter for Height, the bump effect has the same strength. Is this normal? There's no such issue with the CPU engine.

By the way, is there still a performance penalty when using the VRayColor2Bump map as the help pages state? I did some tests of my own and the render time was identical whether I use the map or not.
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
    VRayColor2Bump doesn't seem to work if I plug it in a Mix or a VRayCompTex map - no matter what value I enter for Height, the bump effect has the same strength. Is this normal? There's no such issue with the CPU engine.
    Setting the VRayColor2Bump last in the chain should resolve the issue. Check screencap. If you wish to control the bump strength of the maps separately, you should use a VRayBumpMtl (and play with the Bump amount) instead.

Originally posted by Alex_M;n1165572By the way, is there still a performance penalty when using the VRayColor2Bump map as the [URL="https://docs.chaos.com/display/VMAX/VRayColor2Bump"
    help pages[/URL] state? I did some tests of my own and the render time was identical whether I use the map or not.
    Even though a performance penalty is not evident, there should be one since it's an additional calculation.A more complex scene with multiple conversions should exhibit it.
    Attached Files
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
    X