X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colours discrepancy

Hi everyone,
    I don't know how to solve this issue.

Basically, render in vfb looks different than the same image opened in windows viewer/affinity photo.
    I don't know where to check for the color profile in vray, in color management it's saying srgb and that's it.
    checking in affinity srgb it's already applied...

Is it a know issue? does anyone know how to save the image so as it looks the same?
    Attached Files

I'm not familiar with Affinity, but it certainly looks like a color profile mismatch. You can see the rendering RGB primaries in Render Setup > Settings > Color Management. Otherwise, what kind of display correction are you using in the VFB? Are you certain it matches the profiles in Affinity? Try viewing the image in another software as well.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Aleksandar,
      in order:
      -In the render setting, color management I have srgb.
      -Display correction is by default, didn't touch it.
      I don't have LUT where I forgot to set "save to image" for example.

-affinity is assigning a profile to the image, so it's assigning srgb as per screenshot attached previously.
      Playing with affinity it seems that the profile of the image, saved from vray, it's adobe 1998...when I assign it to the image, and then convert it to srgb, looks fine.
      But I don't get it, it should be already srgb once saved from vray, isn't?
      Attached Files

Comment

Is there any difference if you save a linear image (.exr, .vrimg)? Since it's happening in the Windows Viewer it may be due to color depth (8bit .pngs vs 32-bit VFB).

Comment

Hi Aleksandar,
          it's not happening just in the windows viewer, it's happening also in Affinity Photo, that works like Photoshop basically.
          once opened, Affinity it's assignin the srgb profile, meaning that the original profile is not the srgb.
          If I assigned the "adobe 1998" profile manually the colours seems to match( can't know if they match 100%, but at least it's pretty close).

Anyway, I tried to save in openEXR, I don't use it in my daily job, so probably I'm doing something wrong now, but when I try to open it in Affinity I have to 2 layers, both of them white.
          Attached Files

Comment

You need to change the format from Integer 32-bit to Float 32-bit.

Comment

Thanks,
              tried in 32bit with no compression, still have the same problem

https://www.dropbox.com/t/Pk4kyLpWX81EYFv3

I tried also the conversions setup, converting it to adobe 1998 still not matching the VFB, but at least is a bit more vibrant.
              I honestly don't know what to do

Comment

I'm still trying...so, to recap:
                Vray has the look I want

in windows preview looks fine
                in windows photo once open looks wrong
                affinity photo looks wrong
                after effect looks ok
                Lumin, similar to lightroom, as soon as it's opened looks ok, after a second looks like something it's applied and then looks wrong.

no idea what is happening and where to check.

Not a vray problem for sure at this point...but if you could point me out to the solution anyway, if possible, you'll save me

Comment

don't mean to be annoying,
                  just trying to give as more info as possible while I'm still testing.

Started with a simpler scene, so as to see just a flat colour.
                  No lights, plane with a light material, red one.

render results in vfb is 1/0.008/0.008 (colour picker from affinty gives 255/0/0)
                  If I reopen the same image in vfb is is saying 0,991/0.012/0.012.

then, image opened in affinity: 254/28/29
                  from windows viewer 255/14/0
                  from "photo" 254/28/28"

I tried to read on google around, viewer and edge are not color managed so it's normal they look different.
                  tried to open it on chrome, 254/28/28..so, in theory, the correct one should be the one that looks toned down.
                  I got that in the vfb is a raw image and has more info, but I would not expect the toned-down image.
                  if I like the style of what I see in the VFB I should be able to save it straight away, and not saving something different.

also because it could lead me to something wrong, not knowing which one is correct.
                  I mean, if the issue is something in my OS, and vfb look is the correct one, I'm going to overcorrect the image and the client might look at something wrong.

If the problem is in the VFB, i' always set up something that when saved is gonna look different.

attached the video of what is happening in lightroom.
                  https://www.dropbox.com/t/cSNbqwgYoipezYoq

Thanks in advance for any help

Comment

Just to be sure - are you saving your color corrections in the image (for multi-channeled images - in the Save Raw Image dialogue > Save VFB color corrections to RGB Channel)? Also, do you have a specific display correction in the VFB? Otherwise, I suggest you send us the scene so we can troubleshoot it.

Comment

Hi Aleksandar,
                      can't find anything with "Save VFB color corrections to RGB Channel" (not using multichannel now), is it this
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-17 182842.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1173340

I have 3 monitors, all of them calibrated with x1 rite, but I have not assigned anything to the vfb, it's all by default setting.

It's happening in every scene unfortunately, not just a specific one

Sorry if I can't answer all your question
                      Lorenzo

Comment

It's here. I asked because I suspected that since you had some color corrections (from the videos) they are not saved in the .exr, hence the differences.

Comment

Hi Aleksandar,
                          my apologies for the late reply.

I tried to check that option you linked, but I'm not using vray image raw option, as specified in the manual.
                          I don't use 32bit image either, exr or tiff or vray image format.
                          Most of the time I use bit 16bit (48 in 3ds max), or jpeg if I just need to share a preview with the client.
                          Don't need extra data, I just need what I see in the VFB as it is to be shared or to be finalised in a 3rd application (affinity, lumin in my case).
                          Vray it's the only software that is givingme this problem of colours.
                          The only one that once the image is opened in affinity/photoshop it's saying the colour profile is not recognised.
                          With any other software, fstrom, redshift, cycles...I have the color match from IPR and Affinity photo/photoshop.

I can't honestly understand what the problem is

Comment

I’m not sure if this problem is related to yours, but on a Vray build from January the images saved from the VFB were missing some corrections (in my case the hue saturation layer) so the look was slightly different in PS. Updating to a recent build fix the issue.
                            3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
                            NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
                            www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
                            @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by lorenzo_spinola View Post
                              Hi Aleksandar,
                              my apologies for the late reply.

I tried to check that option you linked, but I'm not using vray image raw option, as specified in the manual.
                              I don't use 32bit image either, exr or tiff or vray image format.
                              Most of the time I use bit 16bit (48 in 3ds max), or jpeg if I just need to share a preview with the client.
                              Don't need extra data, I just need what I see in the VFB as it is to be shared or to be finalised in a 3rd application (affinity, lumin in my case).
                              Vray it's the only software that is givingme this problem of colours.
                              The only one that once the image is opened in affinity/photoshop it's saying the colour profile is not recognised.
                              With any other software, fstrom, redshift, cycles...I have the color match from IPR and Affinity photo/photoshop.

I can't honestly understand what the problem is
                              x-rite calibration is through monitor osd or with icc through windows color management?0

start with changing srgb display correction in VFB. you are saving with 3ds max with 2.2 gamma correction so it will look different.
                              and if x-rite creates 3 icc profiles for your displays - just use the correct one in VFB and you're good.
                              Marcin Piotrowski
                              youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X