Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3ds Max Vector Map using Illustrator .ai file, How to get working with V-Ray GPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ds Max Vector Map using Illustrator .ai file, How to get working with V-Ray GPU?

It's been a long long while, here I am as usual with a super obscure and probably odd question as has been my M.O.

Does anyone know of the correct way or an alternative way to get Illustrator files to work with preferably V-Ray GPU?

I've just recently ran into the need to use .ai Illustrator files as textures, kind of awesome functionality that I wish I had tried out much earlier as being able to have multiple art-boards with textures and switch between them with the "Page" parameter is awesome as shown in the screen shot, the only issue is I can't seem to get this working with V-Ray 5 Update 2.3

It sort of works in V-Ray CPU with weird ghosting overlay but get nothing on GPU, hoping it's just a workflow / different map type issue that someone can share their knowledge about?

Thank you in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	85
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1189876
    Attached Files

EDIT: I should add, this is using Vray 6/Max 24.

Using GPU the log flags the texture as unsupported, so that's that issue.

Regarding the odd sort of overlay thing, I actually just turned stuff off/on, i.e. the various parameters, and it just started working.
    I couldn't get it to revert to being wrong, so maybe it's just a bit glitchy. Maybe that'll help
    https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

fixeighted Thank you for experimenting and for the incompatibility info!

I was able to get it working on CPU sans the ghosting by lowering the "Virtual Resolution > Finite:" setting down to 1000 instead of the default 10K, would be so killer if it would also work with GPU.

I wonder if there will be the possibility one day for V-Ray to directly support the Max Physical and PBR materials, or all the default Max materials and maps, would be such an amazing convenience to have FULL material and map compatibility.

I know it easy to say full compatibility for materials and maps but I'm sure if it were a simple straight forward thing it would have been so already, but would be ultra nice for some background conversion magic that just worked, if I'm going to full-on speak of my dreams.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Working...
      X