Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max 2017 Vray RT Crash

Hi there
    I have recently started using Max 2017 in production. Unfortunately Vray RT is a no go. Crashes every time. I'm running Vray 3.4.02 on max 2017 SP2 in Windows 10. Crashes occur both with CPU and GPU. I have just tried running it on 2016 and it works fine. Crashes occurred with a teapot on a plane - nothing complicated. I'm attaching a download link of the 3DS minidump if that helps

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4tnqo2lwk...DdTuRkhya?dl=0

Cheers

Thanks, will look at the crash dump, but is this for every scene or just a specific one? The scenes that we have here seem to work fine.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Can you try before starting RT to uncheck "Warn for non-physical settings" and "Warn for unsupported features" and then start it ?
      If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
      Chaos

Comment

Hi there,
        At first I thought this was scene specific. I gave Max a restart and the same thing happened. I then tried a teapot on a plane. Still no luck. After that I fired up Max 2016 and RT worked fine. Back to 2017 again and it still crashed. I'll give it another go tomorrow after a machine restart. I didn't think you guys would let a crash like that go unnoticed, so there must be something wrong with my particular setup.

....just tried RT on my home computer. Same setup - Max 2017 Sp2 Win 10. Renders fine with no problems.

....back at work this morning and it's still a no-go. There is a VFB message is saying: Error during V-Ray RT initilization in stage 9! Waiting for image data...
        This is with a teapot on a plane and I have made sure "Warn for non-physical settings" and "Warn for unsupported features" is off before starting
        Last edited by Bruce Hart; 28-08-2016, 04:33 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Is there any difference if you uncheck In-Process RT engine?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2016-08-30_11-50-00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	863289
          Does V-Ray Standalone that comes with V-Ray for 3dsMax installation gives the same error?
          Have you tried to re-install V-Ray just in case?
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Hi again - thanks for the suggestions
            I tried unchecking In-process RT engine, and the warning check boxes - still crashes
            Next I tried uninstalling Vray and reinstalling as you suggested. I ran CCleaner to clean the registry
            I also uninstalled Vray 3 for Sketchup Beta just to count that out.

After this I tried a teapot on a plane. Interestingly it started to render. The problem is that it still displayed the "error in Stage 9!" message. However the display immediately became unresponsive and zooming in the VFB was completely broken and does not update. At times the entire Max window stretches in the Y axis and the icons disappear. Not long after that Max will crash completely

This led me to think my issues are video card related (even though I was using the CPU engine). For what it's worth I'm running an NVIDIA GTX 980Ti card across 3 monitors. I downloaded the latest drivers, but that didn't help.

...Just tried RT again in Max 2016 and it still works perfectly. 2017 - no go.

During one of my rendering attempts I was able to capture the error message in the screen grab attached. FYI this does not show up every time
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Bruce Hart; 31-08-2016, 06:59 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Comment

Unfortunately, the latest drivers from NVidia (09/06/16) still don't correct the "in-process" CUDA RT errors. I keep hoping with each new driver update but no-go so far, at least for the K5200 Quadro's.
              ------------------------------------------------------------
              V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
              -----------------------------------------
              Autodesk Expert Elite Member
              ------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Hart View Post
                Hi again - thanks for the suggestions
                I tried unchecking In-process RT engine, and the warning check boxes - still crashes
                Next I tried uninstalling Vray and reinstalling as you suggested. I ran CCleaner to clean the registry
                I also uninstalled Vray 3 for Sketchup Beta just to count that out.

After this I tried a teapot on a plane. Interestingly it started to render. The problem is that it still displayed the "error in Stage 9!" message. However the display immediately became unresponsive and zooming in the VFB was completely broken and does not update. At times the entire Max window stretches in the Y axis and the icons disappear. Not long after that Max will crash completely

This led me to think my issues are video card related (even though I was using the CPU engine). For what it's worth I'm running an NVIDIA GTX 980Ti card across 3 monitors. I downloaded the latest drivers, but that didn't help.

...Just tried RT again in Max 2016 and it still works perfectly. 2017 - no go.

During one of my rendering attempts I was able to capture the error message in the screen grab attached. FYI this does not show up every time
                Would it be convenient for you to connect remotely and see what's going on?
                Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
                X