Light cache calculation on GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light cache calculation on GPU

I seem to remember seeing this as a request somewhere but can’t find it at the moment. Would be great if the light cache could be calculated on the GPU as this can take a significant amount of time on CPU at high quality settings. Are there any plans for this?

There are plans for this, however, it will take a considerable amount of time for its development, so stay tuned.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Yes please! I feel like this is super necessary especially for the GPU IPR as the difference in speed/ results between the IPR (BF+BF) and Final Render (BF+LC) can be huge.

I would even be happy if the GPU IPR could use Light Cache that is calculated with CPU, if its easier. I seem to remember Vlado posting a maxscript to allow this but it was unstable at the time. Would be super helpful for our office since we do alot of architectural interiors with a lot of GI Bounces.

Comment

Originally posted by AbeTJH View Post
        Yes please! I feel like this is super necessary especially for the GPU IPR as the difference in speed/ results between the IPR (BF+BF) and Final Render (BF+LC) can be huge.
        I run in this problem too often. LC at the GPU could be great.
        www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Yup, getting there.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Is there any update on this? Alternatively is there anyway to have the Light Cache be calculated on the CPU while rendering using the GPU in IPR?

Comment

Hi, we are actively developing LightCache on the GPU and we hope to have something that we can share by the end of the year.
              The LightCache will be entirely calculated on the GPU, there is no option to mix the two together, there is also no point in doing so, as when calculating on the CPU, the LightCache is using the V-Ray render engine, while calculating on the GPU it is using the V-Ray GPU render engine.
              Being 2 separate engines, they don't produce the same result, so the results won't match and this will not produces the outcome you expect.
              Alexander Soklev | Team Lead | V-Ray GPU

Comment

Just out of curiosity.

Light cache is running on GPU in project Lavina isn't it?

Comment

Yes, it is
                  Alexander Soklev | Team Lead | V-Ray GPU

Comment

Working...
                  X